Skip to content
prostate cancer
seuell posted:
hi i am 71 year old in very good health five year ago i had surgery
for prostate cancer now my psa is going up it is up to 3.07 this year
last year it was 1.84 my doctor say the cancer is recurring so he suggest radiation treatment or hormone should i take his suggestion
or wait and see, any suggestion
az4peaks2 responded:
Hi seuell, - There is no question that you have definitely had a recurrence of your Prostate Cancer (PCa) and salvage radiation is considered the last chance for a possible "cure" of the disease. Unfortunately, it will only be potentially successfull if your recurrence is a "localized" one and is not already, more advanced, "systemic" disease.

This is often very difficult to determine, and since you give no post-operation details of pathology found and/or sequential monitoring PSA history, any recommendation as to secondary treatment would be pure guessing, rather than informed and thoughtful consultation.

Overall, Salvage Radiation is effective in about 50% of the cases in 5 year statistics and something less than that, in 10 year results, which reflects the problems with confidently identifying the source of a recurrence.

The probable reality is, that at 71 y/o, you need to decide whether the POTENTIAL for cure is sufficient to risk the POTENTIAL morbidity (side effects) of further "intent to cure" treatment. But this should be an INFORMED decision based upon the most reliable information available, about your SPECIFIC situation.

With an actuarial life expectancy of about 12.5 years, the question that needs to be posed, is it necessary to cure your disease or is it more logical, based on what you learn, to try and effectively CONTROL the now chronic disease until you will most likely die of some other fatal malady.

All of these considerations depend on such facts as the extent of any residual effects from your surgery, existing co-morbidities, general health and your present life style at 71. There is lots to think about and seeking guidance from the professionals, available to you, who have the availability of ALL your records is wise.

I would suggest that, in addition to your Urologist, you have consultations with a Radiological Oncologist and a Medical Oncologist, before deciding on your next treatment decision. Good luck! - (aka) az4peaks
BobKy replied to az4peaks2's response:
Hello Seuell,

Welcome. John has given you great information.

Could you please tell us your PSA at diagnosis and the Gleason Score?

Good luck,
seuell replied to BobKy's response:
thank bob i will get my info from my doctor and post it all here
seuell replied to BobKy's response:
like i said it read 3.07 i dont no what gleason is but i will ask
my doctor what that mean and get that info thank you
DianeinMontana responded:
seuell we are going through the same thing now and chose radiation for it was highly recommended and told with out it there is NO chance of survival but couldn't tell us a percentage rate of it killing the cancer. Did you go on with treatment? If so which did you choose? We were only offered radiation. Also did they give you a stage or tell you where the cancer is now? I hope all goes ok for you and will keep you in my prayers. DianeinMontana
BillH99 replied to DianeinMontana's response:
Sloan Kettering has information on lots of treatments.

And it has information on predicting outcomes.

After looking at this page, click on Open Calculator. And select Salvage Radiation (if this is after surgery)
seuell replied to DianeinMontana's response:
hello and thank you for the reply no i haven chose either
one my personal doctor order some more test for me i
had them this week will post the fineing as soon as they
come in my prayers go out to you to seuell

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 22 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center