Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
External Beam Radiation
ZackE5 posted:
I was diagnosed with prostate cancer May 3 of this year. I have a Gleason score of 6. I am scheduled to begin external beam radiation treatments this month. My understanding is the treatments are Mon-Fri for 9-12 weeks. Is this accurate? How bad are the side affects? How long do they last?

Fairwind responded:
Today's modern linear accelerators, in the hands of expert radiation oncologists, have made great advancements...

Six months ago I was given 72 Grays in 40 fractions, 1.8 Gy a day, weekends off..This was salvage radiation for a failed surgery..At first, I noticed nothing, no reaction at all..About half-way through, I developed some urinary urgency and frequency, but it was manageable.. Near the end, there was some rectal itching and irritation but it too was not troubling..After the treatment was over, the mild symptoms slowly faded away..I drove myself to and from the treatment center, no problem..My advice would be to seek out a good Radiation Oncologist who has access to a modern, up to date machine..As time goes by, other side-effects like impotence can slowly develop. Talk to your R-doc about it....

ZackE5 replied to Fairwind's response:
Thank you for the information. I will talk to my Radiation Oncologist.

AshWarrior replied to ZackE5's response:
Please check out Proton Beam radiation treatment. Same cure rate as IMRT but with less side affects. Only eight centers in the U.S.

Featuring Experts

Basir Tareen, MD, is a board certified urologist who completed his residency at North Eastern Ohio University followed by a prestigious fellowship in ...More

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center