Skip to content
Steve Jordan, PCa warrior, RIP
Galileo1962 posted:
Steve Jordan was a member of many prostate cancer discussion boards. He was active on this one, in fact, when I was first diagnosed and treated in 2006-2007. Unfortunately those postings are no longer available because of website redesign. After a while, Steve was more active on other forums, such as alt.cancer.support.prostate, and the New Prostate Cancer Infolink Social Network.

Steve and I probably didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things. I remember posting proudly that my PSA was undetectable--less than 0.1. Steve let me know in no uncertain terms that that didn't qualify as undetectable in his opinion! We also had a little spat about the utility of free PSA (fPSA).

Those differences, and others, do not diminish his efforts, in my opinion, to help others with what he had learned in his journey. He knew a considerable amount about the treatment of advanced prostate cancer and shared that knowledge freely and frequently. He spoke out against the snake oil salesmen, the shams, and the scams. Many survivors considered Steve a friend, even if they never met in person.

He had been an accident investigator and claims adjustor, which explains his frequent use of the name "Mycroft" in email addresses and screen names. Mycroft Holmes was the brother of--you guessed it--Sherlock.

His death was reported in a brief obituary in the Arizona Republic on September 19, 2011. The date of death was given as September 8. He was 75. The cause of death was not given. He had noted that his PSA was rising, although not rapidly, and the overall number was still low. He had successfully managed his disease with hormone therapy for a number of years (he had first been diagnosed in 2003, and treated unsuccessfully with cryotherapy, according to Steve Kramer on the Usenet discussion group). He had been anticipating therapy with the drug Firmagon, according to postings in July. In mid-August, he stopped participating in discussions.

Steve often quoted Lazarus Long, a character from the science fiction of Robert Heinlein, in his email signature. The last of the Lazarus Long books was "To Sail Beyond the Sunset", which takes its title from the poem "Ulysses", by Alfred, Lord Tennyson. Here is an excerpt, the end of the poem:

The lights begin to twinkle from the rocks:
The long day wanes: the slow moon climbs: the deep
Moans round with many voices. Come, my friends,
'Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Thank you for taking a moment to reflect upon the passing of this unique, vibrant personality.

FrancieToo responded:
So very sad.

pennybug responded:
God bless you Steve Jordan for all you gave of yourself to others in your own time of crisis.

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center