Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What happened here?
pennybug posted:
I went for my welcome to medicare physical and things went downhill from there. My prostate exam came back with a PSA of 45 and was sent to a urolagist who did an exam and said my prostate was very large and rough feeling. I went in for a biopsy and 12 cores were taken . All 12 cores show 80 to 100 percent cancer and my Gleason is 4+ 3 = 7 next I went in for bone scan and a ct of some sort. Haven't got the results yet but a week is a long wait.. The doctor was talking radiation and hormone therapy at our last meeting as he thinks there is a really good chance that it is already out of the prostate and has spread. this means that it would not make sense to remove the prostate at this late stage.. I was wondering if anyone has ever had hormone therapy without the radiation and if it can still be a stage 1 or 2 with these scores?

pennybug responded:
I also meant to say that I have had a quad bypass in the last 5 years and if this will affect treatment

Fairwind replied to pennybug's response:
Pick up a copy of Dr. Patrick Walsh's book "Guide to surviving prostate cancer" This will give you the background you need to navigate the journey you are about to undertake..

The bypass operation might worry a surgeon but as your urologist said, you are probably not a candidate for surgery..

You should get your own copy of the biopsy report as it will list how they have staged your cancer..

Yes, hormone therapy is sometimes used by itself when neither surgery or radiation are appropriate. Hormone therapy can not cure prostate cancer, it can control it for a period of time.. You have high-risk advanced prostate cancer so you must leave no stone unturned in the fight that lies ahead..

The best of luck to you..

billh99 replied to pennybug's response:
Hormone therapy does increase the possibility of having heart problems.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/HematologyOncology/ProstateCancer/15686

You want to discuss this with your cardiologist also.

Regardless make sure that you are on a good healthy diet and get some exercise.

That will help both the PC and the CAD.

pennybug replied to billh99's response:
Thank you both for your input as it has been helpful. I have my biopsy report and was wondering if it indicated what stage I am in? Can't find anything on here except the gleason for all 12 cores all = 7and at the bottom it say's T 77101 / M81403 prostate needle biopsy right / Adenocarcinoma... T 77102 / m81403 prostate needle biopsy, left / Adenocarcinoma does this mean anything? What does high risk advanced prostate cancer even mean? Is it that it is growing faster than normal? I thought prostate cancer was slow growing.. I feel fine except for have trouble going to urinate all the time with starting and stopping . I am up half the night trying to go.

Fairwind replied to pennybug's response:
Normal PSA is 1.0 - 2.0, in that range..When it gets over 3.0, urologists get worried and do biopsies. When it gets over 10.0 the chances of curing any cancer diminish rapidly..When it gets over 20, the cancer has usually spread beyond the prostate gland itself and into surrounding tissues..Read Walsh's book...Your Urologist should have sat down with you for an hour and explained in detail what that biopsy report meant and what your options were...

mskite replied to pennybug's response:
There is a type of fast growing prostate cancer. When mine showed up at 3 in 3 months it went to a 7. I had radical surgery and have had no problems. I have not had any treatments for it had not spread. I don't see why the DR won't remove the prostate to get the cancer out of your body. My DR told me the radical surgery was the best treatment. You might still have to have some treatments but i just can't see leaving the cause there to spread. This is my opinion from the cancer I had and my treatment. Good luck with your treatments.

Helpful Tips

Recovery of Erectile Function after Radical ProstatectomyExpert
Patients will often ask me if there is anything they can do to improve erectile function after radical prostatectomy. In general, I tell ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the Duke Health Prostate Cancer Center