Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
So frustrated! Has this happened to you?
An_248371 posted:
Hi All,

I'm posting this here because i'm emotional about it and very curious if any of you have been through this too?

I woke up with a swollen eyelid and immediately started taking antihistamine reduce it but to no avail. The advice nurse said I probably did not need to see a doctor and that I should apply a cold compress to it as heat would aggravate it. After four days of no change, I couldn't stand it anymore and saw the doctor. He said it was a Chalazia (similar to a stye), it's not permanent, but gave me eye drops to last 5 days and to apply a warm compress. He is not sure how I got it, but suggested it was triggered by old mascara. I don't understand why it does not affect both eyes then? Today is the 5th day and my eye still looks terrible. My eyelid is pinkish and puffy/heavy and is noticeably smaller than the other. I love applying eye makeup but can not wear that until this clears (not sure when that will be?). From the research I've done online, this could last a month or more if it doesn't heal on its on and might need to be surgically removed. I'm feeling emotional, I feel ugly, and I'm frustrated because I won't feel relief until this subsides and returns back to normal. Since last Friday until now (and however long this takes to heal) I've been staying home and only getting out of the house if it's necessary. I'm just so frustrated! I know that there are worse experiences than this but I can't help but feel the way I do. Have you or anyone you know experienced this before? What did you do to overcome it? Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

dfromspencer responded:
Don't be down, feeling blue. This is a medical issue, and its not your fault. Stop hiding from friends and family, they will understand. Now is the time to get comfort from them, not hide from them! Please don't care what others' think, go on out, and have some fun!!!

Best wishes!!!

Dennis
LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

rohvannyn responded:
Sorry to hear about your eyelid! I know others have had worse experiences, but that doesn't diminish the fact that you are having trouble now. It can be embarrassing to have such a visible medical issue, but it is not as noticeable to others as it is to you.

By the way, I would imagine it happened on one eyelid but not the other because of a bit of broken skin that allowed the mascara to cause the problem.

You might want to ask your doctor if applying a warm compress of tea bags to your affected eyelid would help. When I had an issue like this it helped the itchiness and swelling quite a bit. I just brewed a nice cup of tea and then held the squeezed out hot teabag on my closed eye for a few minutes. It has an astringent effect and helped the puffiness. It won't cure the condition, but it might make it less noticeable... however, ask your doc because we don't want to make it worse.

Best of luck to you!
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

Trust
Was this Helpful?
0 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.