Skip to content

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
From Me to We
Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD posted:
Fears of getting hurt or cravings for closeness can throw off the natural development of a potentially strong relationship. So, it can be helpful to keep yourself on track with an awareness of the important steps in going from me to we:

Attraction
Developing Interest
More serious engagement with each other
Commitment

Even if you have not been quite this clear about the stages of your relationship, what experiences have you had in trying to make sure that you and your partner are in sync with your feelings and expectations for your relationship?

Dr. Becker-Phelps's discussions and her responses in those discussions are for general educational purposes only. If you need help for an emotional or behavioral problem, please seek the assistance of a psychologist or other qualified mental health professional.

dfromspencer responded:
Hi, Dr. Becker-Phelps

I just saw this post. My problem was I skipped the developing interest part, if there was attraction, I went straight for sex. Now, I want to take the time to get to know them. And know them well. That not only gives me time, but it also gives them time to get to know me. You just can't skip the developing interest part. That to me, is the most important of all steps in developing any relationship! Take the time to really get to know one another, befor proceding to the next phase. You will never regret it, like I did/do.

Knowing someone intimately, befor having sex, will make the experience that much better!!! I really believe that! By knowing someone like that, how can you help but be on the same page?

Thanks Dr. Becker-Phelps, excellent question!!!

Dennis
LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

Trust
Was this Helpful?
1 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.