Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Starting a discussion for people who live alone
Anon_11642 posted:
Hi - Lets say I'm over 65 - I'm married but still can be lonely due to husband working still.

Anyway, what do people who are alone do all day to fulfill themselves. Now one thing is I don't have to work. That is a plus I know and am grateful for that. My husband happened to be a workaholic no matter how I tried to slow him down. After a heart attack and bypass he still is the same. And after reading the post about marriages I realize and did before I read that post that we cannot change people. For sure, this is true.

Anyway, I just want to have a little fun before the end comes. I do belong to knitting groups, church groups and go out with friends on every Friday but I still feel "alone" - with a workaholic husband even though he comes home every evening - Sat and Sundays sometimes he works too but usually not all day.

Anyway, live in a small town so there isn't as much to do in a 4,000 population although they do have many activities in this town which I do try and frequent from time to time.

Anyway, I guess I am a "people" person - don't like being alone. I know I could visit nursing homes, etc but I don't find that enough to cure these lonely feelilngs. I am faithful to my husband and will always be.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw this out and see what kind of response I get. I like to learn new things - I took archery lessons and had fun - only 3 lessons and now they don't know if we will be able to use their facility until they get some volunteers to supervise for safety reasons.

Anyway, I do read a lot too - we can't garden where I live because there is a drought but used to but can't do that this year.

Anyway, just wondering if I'm missing something that someone can post to give me more ideas. I do volunteer to make rosaries for our servicemen also.

Anyway, thanks for listening and will check this post from time to time to see what people say. Happy Easter everyone.

An_250877 responded:
Hello! I can definately relate to your situation. The town I live in is only almost 9000. I'm used to much bigger cities. Without disclosing too much information, which state do you live in?

Anon_11642 replied to An_250877's response:
Hi - I live in Kansas.

dfromspencer responded:
Hi, Anon

I've read your posts from before. Have you been able to try and go see your daughter,(was it?) I remember you saying it was hard for you to navigate this bigger city where she lives. Is that still a problem? I hope not!

Anyway, i'm 54 and live alone. I am disabled somewhat, but I can still get around fairly well. I am in constant pain, take meds., but they don't work too well on nerve damage.

What are some of the things I do to keep busy all day? Well, lets see? First thing in the morning, I like to make some coffee, and watch the sun come up. If i'm up before the sun, I get on my computer for the headline news, on MSN. Most times, I like to read the politics articles, and then comment on them. I have a membership on NewsVine. Then I go to Web.M.D. and see if I might be able to help someone?

I love to work crossword puzzles!!! Its one of my favorite passtimes! I love to read books, either way, book, or on-line. I like to listen to different types of music, and finding certain songs the internet, usually thru "YOUTUBE", its great!

I love a clean house, will not live in a dirty one! So, I am almost always finding something to clean, if just to keep me busy? As a matter of fact, its time to scour my tub/shower surround. If there is nothing to clean, then I like to exercise a little. I have one of those rubber thingy's with the handles on each end, you know the one??? I do what I can with that, and do pretend squats and deadlifts, and deep knee bends, things like that.

I have a pet that requires some attention. He is a beautiful little rat, his name is Bubba. I try to get him out as often as I can. I let him run around on my couch, and easy chair, he loves it. I try to keep him slim, but I spoil him rotten, he's a little chunky now. LOL!!!

Well, other than what I listed above, I like to walk as much as I can. I ride my bike when the weather is nice. I help my landlady out during mowing season. What a big yard there is! I'm sorry, I don't have much of a social life. I live in a town of about 11.000 people. You would think I could find a femal companion in 11.000 people, eh? Not happening. Oh well, I will keep slogging along.

I hope this may help you out a little?

Take care!

Dennis
LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

Anon_11642 replied to dfromspencer's response:
Hi - well, my daughter and family came through about a week ago on a skiing trip and stopped in overnight and had dinner. We are going down again in April to see our grandson, her son greceive Holy Communion. so guess I wont have to drive since my husband will be taking me down there at the end of April.

My daughter did call yesterday and invite us for Easter and spend the night but we already invited our son and family to come here - she doesn't feel like driving up to see us since they just got back from Colorado and don't blame her.

I hope I can open a thread for people who live alone or for people who are alone a lot and come up with some fun things to do when you are alone. I feel there are a lot of lonely people out there.

Anyway, thanks for your post. It's good for all of us to vent - it's good to hear from people about their lives and sometimes they have some helpful hints that will make our lives better.

Anyway, Happy Easter to all! I am a Christian and not embarrassed about it - God's blessings to everyone.

dfromspencer replied to Anon_11642's response:
Hi

I am so glad you got to see your daughter, and grandson!

Yes, I am a lonely person.

I do feel that there is a lot of lonely people out there.

I too, hope to find something I can use, on this thread!!!

Happy Easter to you!!!

Happy Easter to all!!!!

Dennis
LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

sunflower1943 replied to Anon_11642's response:
Your town is a little bigger than mine - are you retired? or do you work or do volunteering?

Am still looking for something to fill my time and something that is rewarding?

Am I expecting too much? Anyway, thanks for your post.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

Relationships and Coping Community recommended resourcesExpert
About a month ago, I asked the community here to suggest resources for finding a therapist. They suggested: Psychology Today's therapist ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.