Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Power struggles
Mamihlapinatapai posted:
I know that in the perfect marriage, where so many important factors are involved, there would be no power struggles of any kind. However, I think in reality this is rarely the case.
The most elementary and valuable statement in science--the beginning of wisdom--is 'I do not know.'

Take the Poll

How dominate is the idea of "power" over your spouse in your marriage?
  • None: freedom and justice for all!
  • Some: we can compromise.
  • A lot: it's a dictatorship!
vote
View Poll Results

dfromspencer responded:
I didn't take the poll, but would like to comment.

When I was married, we didn't have anyone dominate over the other, no, ours was a partnership. We asked each other what they thought about anything we may have wanted. It was a fifty/fifty proposition. No one bought anything major, without talking it over first, and that worked very well.

There should be no dominance in any relationship!!!
Rather, it should be a partnership!!!

Dennis
LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

fcl replied to dfromspencer's response:
I agree. We have a partnership too and it's been this way for over 30 years now. There is no notion of domination here. I couldn't be happy in a relationship where one felt the need to dominate the other.
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

rohvannyn responded:
I think my spouse actually doesn't really want any power struggles but my head sometimes reads into things she does. Or she thinks I am trying to take power over her when I'm not. We both have issues from the past. I continue to work toward mutuality.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

An_249666 replied to rohvannyn's response:
thought you're a girl?
i just noticed

rohvannyn replied to An_249666's response:
To clarify things, I am female but if someone calls me by the masculine pronoun I don't really get offended. Respect is respect, right? My spouse is also female.
Roh

dfromspencer replied to rohvannyn's response:
No worries, Roh, you are still my friend, and always will be!!!

I'm sorry you are having these probs. A relationship worth having, is one worth struggling with, right???

T.T.Y.L.

Dennis
LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

rohvannyn replied to dfromspencer's response:
Thanks for that, Dennis, and good luck on your date!
Roh

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

criticism hurts
In all that you do, please be careful when you criticize. Inconsiderate criticism is the Number 1 reason why couples split ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.