Skip to content


    Attention All WebMD Community Members:

    These message boards are closed to posting. Please head on over to our new WebMD Message Boards to check out and participate in the great conversations taking place:

    Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
    Ex's and their family
    An_250877 posted:

    A couple seperates and divorces after 14 and 1/2 yrs. The (ex)wife had a daughter from a previous marriage that was 3 yo at time of remarriage, the couple had 2 children of their own during the marriage. The (ex)husband remarries a little over 2 yrs after divorce was final and has been married for a little over 8yrs. The (ex)wife remarries 9 yrs after divorce was final and has been married for 1 and 1/2 yrs.

    How unusual, or not, is it that the (ex)husbands family still has relations with the (ex)wife and her previous daughter?
    fcl responded:
    I should imagine that it is not particularly rare after all she is still the mother of two members of their family, was part of their family for several years and bonds tend to form between people. I see no reason for them to cut out her daughter from a previous relationship.

    I have seen this kind of thing happen even when the divorced couple could hardly stand each other - ex-MIL or SIL had a close friendship with the ex-wife and continued to see her like part of the family.
    There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.
    dfromspencer responded:
    Not unusual at all!!! Most times when they have children, the entire family bonds with them, and would very much like to keep in touch!!!

    Why would anyone want to sever the kids relationship with their Grand parents? I could never do that!

    Featuring Experts

    Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.