Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Boston Marathon tragedy
Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD posted:
Yet another tragedy in our nation. This saddens my heart deeply. It calls for justice and for us to find a way to come together (rather than just be eaten up by our outrage, which could be so easy to do). Also, I just want to provide an opportunity here for people to share their thoughts, feelings and experiences related to this.

For those affected by this- or who know others affected by it- here are some resources that you might find helpful:

Managing traumatic stress: Tips for recovering from disaster and other traumatic events

Building Your Resilience

Coping with Disaster

Taking Care of Your Emotional Health After a Disaster

Recovering Emotionally

Helping Children with Disaster

rohvannyn responded:
Thank you for talking about this. I know it's foremost in many minds right now. I'm trying to be in touch with my feelings about it rather than hiding from them or disconnecting. It's horrible to hear about the killed and maimed people, and I extend every sympathy to the victims and thair families.

But do you know what terrifies me far more than the blood and pain? The reaction from society. I'm afraid that we will insulate more, hide more, impose more security restrictions on ourselves, and give up even more of our power as a people. Not just Americans, but everywhere. I'm afraid that people, out of concern for terrorism, will support wonderful things like marathons less and not get out and be with other people. I'm afraid that more people will hide behind their screens and stay out of the sunshine, and more even worse, advocate for others to stay "safe" and hidden as well.

I may be doing a drawing, or a poem, perhaps, to commemorate this and process a little bit. But I also want to see a marathon now, to cheer on the runners, and welcome them to the finish line, and remind everyone that I am still part of a society that has the potential to be free.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

dfromspencer responded:
Yes, thanks Dr. Leslie

I agree with Roh, as I hope no one goes into hiding from this.

We as a nation must come together, and mourn our losses. Yet we must not forget that we are individuals, also, and that we need to keep ourselves safe. Be vigilent, be aware of your surroundings at all times. If you see someone put any kind of package, backpack, sack, whatever,down and then walk away, say something. Tell the proprietor of the store, tell a policeman, anyone who has the authority to interviene. That would be better than more restrictions.

To all those who lost a loved one in Boston, my sympathies!!!

To all of those that were injured, I wish you a speedy recovery!!!

To those that did this dasturdly crime, you will be caught, and when caught, you should be punished to the fullest extent of the law!!!

May the Boston Marathon continue for the longest time!!!

Dennis
LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

criticism hurts
In all that you do, please be careful when you criticize. Inconsiderate criticism is the Number 1 reason why couples split ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.