Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Memorial Day: The Importance of Being Grateful
Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD posted:
Essential to happiness is feeling safe and secure. I usually write about this in the context of feeling emotionally safe with family, friends, and romantic partners. But, given the Memorial Day is next week, I would instead like to honor the men and women who have given their lives to help us all feel — and be — safe.

They offer us another gift, an opportunity to be grateful. Our hearts, as well as research, tells us that being grateful is important and life affirming.

So, what can you do to remember and recognize those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while serving in the military? Consider these options:

Think and talk about their service.

Raise a flag.

Attend a ceremony or parade.

Visit a cemetery or memorial that honors whose who have died serving the country.

Volunteer to place flags on the graves of those who served in the military.

Please share your thoughts, feelings, and memories about this day and those whom it honors.

If you would like to read more in detail about this topic in my The Art of Relationships blog, click here.

Dr. Becker-Phelps's discussions and her responses in those discussions are for general educational purposes only. If you need help for an emotional or behavioral problem, please seek the assistance of a psychologist or other qualified mental health professional.

Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD responded:
To read more about this, see my blog The Art of Relationships.

dfromspencer responded:
My grandfather, my father, both of my brothers, and myself, have all served in the military. I did two terms of service. I joined for three years, and while serving in S. Korea I re-enlisted for four more years. Thankfully, none of us lost life or limb in combat. My oldest brother could have gone to Viet Nam, thankfully, he was not called upon to do so! I stayed in for seven years, and luckily, I never had to see combat either!!!

I don't know how my grandfather, and father did it? WW1, and WW2, both saw way too much combat!!! They never really wanted to talk about it, I can't blame them! Who would like to revisit the horror's of war? No one!!!

Each and every Memorial day, I sit back and try to remember all the fun I had with my grandfather. It wasn't a whole lot, they lived in Illinois, and we lived across the river in Iowa. He died when I was only six. I was told he lived through seven heart attacks, befor the last one got him. Tough as nails, he was! But the kindest, gentlest man I ever knew! Now, my father is fading fast, and I don't get to see him very often. He lives across the state from me, and I don't have transportation to get me there. I think of him all the time, he's my dad! I wish I could be closer, but this is where I decided to make my home. I will be thinking of him even more, come next Monday!

I'll be thinking of all of those brave men and women who made the ultimate sacrifice!!! R.I.P.To all!!!

Have a great Memorial Day!!!

Dennis
LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

rohvannyn replied to dfromspencer's response:
I like to thank service members for what they do when I meet them. I help a lot of veterans order their medications in my job and when I know they are a vet I always thank them. I do that any time. Even though I don't agree with what the current US administration is doing, I still respect those who put their lives on the line. Hate the leaders, love the soldiers, as they say.

I want to personally thank Dennis for serving, and also thank any vets or active duty members of the military on this board. Your sacrifices matter.

Happy Memorial Day, everyone!
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD replied to rohvannyn's response:
Roh, What a wonderful thing to do when you meet vets. It must make them feel good to have their service recognized -- and I hope that it makes you feel good to do it.

As for thanking Dennis, vets, and any active duty military, I second your sentiments!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

dating a married man?
He will never be yours, even if he does leave his wife for you. Your actions say nothing good about you. You will have a lot of explaining ... More
Was this Helpful?
8 of 9 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.