Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Includes Expert Content
What Questions Do I Ask?
airycat posted:
I was recently told by my doctor that she wants me to see a therapist before prescribing any medications for depression. I understand and appreciate her not wanting to just give me medicines with no understanding. She has given mild antidepressants, and they didn't help much.
The problem is that she couldn't choose someone to send me to and asked me to check with my insurance. There are LOTS of therapists in my insurance, and different kinds--MDs, PhDs, Social Workers and I think even Nurse Practitioners. I came here for help choosing, but the article I read was vague. It said ask questions. I already figured out that I should ask if the therapist treats depression and what that might entail (method), but that doesn't seem enough to know if the therapist would be a good fit.
Are there more specific questions to ask, or does it become a matter of trying out the therapist for a few visits to know if I'm comfortable with him/her?

dfromspencer responded:
Yes, unfortunately it is a trial by error sort of thing. As for questions, those will have to be of your own choosing, for personal reasons. My first question would be "Is he/she licensed"? Next "How long has he/she been in business"? You know, basic ones?!

I wish you much success!!!
LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

sluggo45692 responded:
Dennis is right, it's trial and error. You can contact your local mental health district and see who specializes in your problems. You can get a lot of information about the local therapist from them.
I would recommend that you meet with your choice. If it's not an instant conection or you don't feel comfortable with that choice, don't be afraid to go somewhere else. Each therapist/person has different personalities and you need to match the best to your needs. The therapist shouldn't be offended if you don't chose them. It's the same with any profession. Good Luck

Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD responded:
I agree with all of you. There are some basic questions you can ask, some of which I offer in the tips section. However, no matter what you ask or how qualified the therapist is, it's still essential that you find someone who you respect and can connect with. I suggest that you think of your first session as a way to get a sense of the therapist and a time to decide whether the person is a good fit for you. Consdier "trying out" at least 2 therapists before committing yourself to investing all the energy, time, and money that is needed for effective treatment.

airycat responded:
Thanks to everyone for your responses. I lucked out and found someone who was very helpful on the first try.

sluggo45692 replied to airycat's response:
Thank you, I'm glad you keep us updated.

Good Luck

dfromspencer replied to airycat's response:
Hi Airycat,

Thank you so much!!! You came back, after all this time, just to let us know how it went! Awesome, fantastic!!! If only everyone would do that? How cool would that be???

I am glad, also, just like Sluggo!!! Please keep coming back, you could help us out around here, you know???

Just sayin..........

Dennis
LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

Trust
Was this Helpful?
0 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.