Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
I'm thinking about quitting birth control because it's ruined my sex life
ughallthescreennamesaretaken posted:
hmm... where to start. I got married a year and a half ago, started taking birth control pills a few months before that. switched pills a few times cause of side effects. since taking them I've had absolutely no sexual desire, (except a little on my periods when I'm taking the blanks.) and it's almost always uncomfortable even with lube.

i'm at the end of my rope here. my husband has been very frustrated with me and declared he's pretty much given up on our sex life.... I think i'm going to quit the pills and just go with the pull out method or maybe condoms... we're both kinda uncomfortable with the idea of them. have yet to try them out... I guess I want to know, is anybody else going through something like this? what do you think I should do? how reliable is the pull out method? I need help here... I'm kinda going crazy.

rohvannyn responded:
The pull out method is not only unsatisfying but it's also not very reliable. Condoms are better. You might want to ask your doctor about some of the really low dose birth control pills, because your body sounds like it's sensitive to the hormones in the regular pill. I'm not a pharmacist but I might be able to give you some suggestions to talk about with your doctor.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

fcl responded:
There are many contraceptive possibilities other than the pill. Here's a link to some very complete information on them - how they work, advantages, disadvantages, reliability, etc.

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control-4211.htm

If you still don't know what's best for you, the same site has an interactive questionnaire to help you find the method that suits your lifestyle and your concerns the best:

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/tools/allaccess/widgets/mymethod.html
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

What I've learned - a guys perspective.
Don't look for someone because you need to feel complete; that goes for both sexes. Make sure each of you is truly over your exes - at ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.