Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Improve Your Relationship with Mindfulness
Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD posted:
Mindfulness — focusing without judgment on the current moment — is a hot topic these days; and for good reason. Among its many benefits, you can use mindfulness to improve your relationships by helping you to be:

Present to enjoy and appreciate your friends and loved ones
A Better listener
A better communicator
More empathic

Have you tried being totally present, or mindful, when you are with others? What differences have you seen in your relationships or in particular interactions when you are mindful, as compared with when you are less fully 'there'?

If you would like to read more in detail about this topic in my The Art of Relationships blog, click here .

Dr. Becker-Phelps's discussions and her responses in those discussions are for general educational purposes only. If you need help for an emotional or behavioral problem, please seek the assistance of a psychologist or other qualified mental health professional

dfromspencer responded:
Hi Dr. Leslie,

This is soooo cool! I read this blog the other day, and Tuesday morning I had an appt. with a psychologist, and he gave me the same advice! He told me to stop once and a while, and ask myself "Where am I now"? In other words, to be mindful of where I am at, and of other things around me, or other people, even?!

Coincidence, or conspiracy? Just who all do you know, Dr. Leslie??? Hhmmm, sure makes one wonder?! LOL!!!

Keep these awesome blogs coming, Dr. Leslie!!!
Thanks so much!!!

Dennis
LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

rohvannyn replied to dfromspencer's response:
I'll read this article when I get a chance, it came up in our post-fight discussion yesterday. We're still at a good enough point that we can talk about things after we have a disagreement so that's good. My main downfall lately is being too overcome by "affect," and I think the cure for that is being mindful. But I so often forget! So I guess the cure is to keep practicing.
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

dfromspencer replied to rohvannyn's response:
Hi Roh, I am so glad you are going to read these blogs from Dr. Leslie!!! They are a fantastic way to look at yourself in a different way! A way to focus on those things that are important to us, and to share parts of us with others. So many good things to read!!!

They will sure make you think, and want to change your behaviors to the good! Good reading, Roh!!!

D.
LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

Relationships and Coping Community recommended resourcesExpert
About a month ago, I asked the community here to suggest resources for finding a therapist. They suggested: Psychology Today's therapist ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.