Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Recovering from Loss
Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD posted:
At its core, all loss is about losing relationships. Even the loss of a job, whether through retirement or being fired, is about losing relationships — in this case, it includes the loss of your relationships with co-workers and with your identity as a working person.

Some ways to achieve peace after loss are to accept the loss, be open to comfort offered by others, and be grateful for other positives in your life. It is also essential that you take care of yourself through such a difficult time. For example, eating well and getting enough sleep can do wonders for your ability to cope.

Of course these are just some general suggestions. What have you done to cope with loss? And, what has worked best?

If you are currently struggling with loss, I invite you to share your struggles here, where this community can help support you.

If you would like to read more in detail about this topic in my The Art of Relationships blog, click here .

Dr. Becker-Phelps's discussions and her responses in those discussions are for general educational purposes only. If you need help for an emotional or behavioral problem, please seek the assistance of a psychologist or other qualified mental health professional.

dfromspencer responded:
Hi Dr. Leslie,

Good topic for discussion! What works best for me? Well, when I lost my best Bud Joe, I cried a lot! I came here for support, and that made a huge difference in the healing process!!! I don't remember right off hand, but you gave me a blog to read that had some steps to the process? That, helped tremendously!!!

The biggest help I got, was from my friends right here, at Web.!!!!!! Without these friends, I may not have been here at all? Where would we be without friendships, without love? Wow, deep thought!!! I don't have the answer, or if I think I do, it isn't pleasant!!!

If you are going through something like this, please read Dr. Leslie's blogs? If that doesn't do it for you, there are some links she has provided to other blogs that can help!

Remember, as long as you are here, you will never be alone!!! GO WEB.M.D.!!! GO DR. LESLIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

D.
LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD replied to dfromspencer's response:
Thanks for talking me up, Dennis! Who needs publicity when I have you?! Seriously though, I am truly glad that we (and I) have been able to help so much.

dfromspencer replied to Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD's response:
Hi Dr. Leslie,

No problem!!! You deserve it!!! What you do for us here, is just amazing!!! You take time out of your busy schedule to help us out, and you don't have to? That, is pretty awesome, if you ask me?! Since I have been here, I don't have any idea as to how many people you have helped, but I know its a lot?! Best of all, you have helped me in so many ways, I can't thank you enough!!!

I would not be here, if it wasn't for you! Joe's passing put me on the edge, the edge of the abyss. You saved me, that is the only way I can put it, you saved me! How can someone thank the person that saved them enough? Its impossible! I say it all the time, but it doesn't make it enough, you know?

I know you don't like me saying it all the time, but thank you Dr. Leslie, thank you!!!!!!!

Dennis
LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

Relationships and Coping Community recommended resourcesExpert
About a month ago, I asked the community here to suggest resources for finding a therapist. They suggested: Psychology Today's therapist ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.