Skip to content

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Includes Expert Content
Progress: a check in
rohvannyn posted:
I know many of you are aware with isses I've had, and problems I continue to work through. It's mostly related to self esteem, depression, issues of immaturity and selfishness, and difficulties communicating with my spouse.

So, when I saw improvement, I figured I'd share some of the strategies which led to it, in hopes that I might help somebody else.

My issues have three different parts. One is bad habits born of bad training and a dysfunctional background. The other is a sensitivity to certain foods, food additives, and an increased need for certain nutrients and amino acids. Finally, I have discovered that I have some PTSD triggers, which have come to light over some intensive self examination.

On to the success, though. I'd been trying to conquer my problems by being mindful of my responses and practicing new behaviors. I noticed some improvement in my outlook when I got rid of wheat, and more improvement when I started drinking bottled water because there was nasty stuff in my water supply. This latest improvement, which has me thinking like my old self and has massively reduced my depression, occured after I added garbanzo beans (chickpeas) and sesame to my diet. My head felt beautifully clear, and even when I had a disagreement it was much easier to use all those good habits I'd been trying to learn. So now, along with the clean water and healthy food and fish oil I am getting, I make sure to have some hummus or some such to maintain myself. It's much easier to be creative and have a positive outlook when my head is clear, and it's also easier to be affectionate. The cool thing is, I was not very physically affectionate before when I was feeling good because I was out of the habit. I was not affectionate when I was feeling bad, even after I understood why it was important, because I wasn't thinking straight. Now I am thinking straight, and I find myself WANTING to be affectionate because I know why it's important and because I've started building new habits!

So the moral is, sometimes when you have unaccountable problems dealing with things, it might be worth a look to make sure that your nutrition is balanced, and that the vitamins and minerals you take in are being absorbed properly by your body. If they are not, even normal problems can seem really hard to deal with even though they shouldn't be, simply because your brain isn't working right in the first place. So it's always good to check!
Roh

'Your focus determines your reality.' --QGJ

rohvannyn responded:
Addendum:

I've got to say, it feels SO good when my brain is working right! I actually feel intelligent and quick witted! The compassion for others, the positive attitude, the decent memory, the non self centeredness, it all comes naturally as it should and I can at least understand what others see in me. I am not mean to myself, I am patient with others, and I act as I should. I want to hold on to this as long as I can. If I can keep my nutrition balanced right, listen to my body, and practice what I've learned, I think I have a shot at it.
Roh

Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD replied to rohvannyn's response:
Hi, roh. I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling so well. Thanks for sharing that!

rohvannyn replied to Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD's response:
Thanks, Dr. Leslie!

There is an unexpected problem with being more clear headed and emotionally available! When we had a little disagreement, more anger than I am used to feeling flashed up and at the same time all these memories from previous arguments came up as well. So I got much angrier than I should. I'll definitely have to be more careful in the future. It's interesting how even with improvements, there can be unexpected pitfalls.
Roh

Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD replied to rohvannyn's response:
Roh, Many people experience a worsening of problems as they work through issues. I think of it as similar to how when you decide to clean our your overly cluttered or chaotic house, you often make a bigger mess before it gets cleaned up. Keep in mind, sometimes people can do it on their own, sometimes they need to call in help (just friends or professionals).

rohvannyn replied to Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD's response:
Ha ha, you are so right! I like the messy house analogy. That's actually a great way to think about it. I'm noticing that it's a little easier to recover even after I've gotten angry, and realize what the problem was. Also, I'm finding that it's easier to admit that I've engaged in certain toxic behaviors, and recognize why.
Roh

dfromspencer replied to rohvannyn's response:
It is much easier to sort through a problem, when it is laid out before you. Check! Plus, once you have everything sorted out, then you may find more troubles, or more ways to deal with what ever it is bothering you, eh? Check! & Double Check!! LOL!!!

Good luck, Roh!

Nice! Dr. Leslie!!!

D.
LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

How to choose a therapistExpert
Choosing a therapist is an important decision because entering therapy is a big investment; it takes energy, time, and money. So, take the ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.