Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
How to Avoid Losing Yourself in a Relationship
Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD posted:
Relationships require negotiation and compromise. However, if you give up too much of yourself, you will be personally diminished — not a good thing for yourself or your relationship. This is true for friends as well as partners. And it means doing things like taking the time to do the things you like and setting limits in your relationship so that you don't feel uncomfortable or taken advantage of.

How do you stay true to yourself and to your relationships? Is your experience or ability to do this different in platonic relationships as compared with romantic ones?

If you would like to read more in detail about this topic in my The Art of Relationships blog, click here .

Dr. Becker-Phelps's discussions and her responses in those discussions are for general educational purposes only. If you need help for an emotional or behavioral problem, please seek the assistance of a psychologist or other qualified mental health professional.

dfromspencer responded:
Very good read! Everyone should read this blog on Dr. Leslie's site. Make sure you read the whole blog, not just this excerpt. It is amazing in its truthfulness!

Wow, thanks again, Dr. Leslie! Will you ever cease to amaze me? I have to hope not, i am actually sure that will never happen?! LOL!!!

Keep em coming, Dr.!!!!

Dennis
LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

How to choose a therapistExpert
Choosing a therapist is an important decision because entering therapy is a big investment; it takes energy, time, and money. So, take the ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.