Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Managing Unemployment Woes
Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD posted:
The unemployment rate — one of the casualties of the faltering economy — is painfully high at over 9 percent. It is a problem affects almost everyone either directly or indirectly.

At the most basic level, this problem affects the relationship each person has with himself or herself. They often lack a sense of purpose or meaning and are at risk for feeling inferior to others who do work.

Sometimes people just want to shut down and pull into the shell that they call their home. Pulling into their shell also often means pulling deeper into themselves even within their homes. But limiting contact with others, especially family and friends, only adds to their misery. So, in spite of themselves, it's important that they join social activities, get together with friends, and talk openly with their spouses.

Unfortunately, children are casualties of unemployment along with their parents. Communicating positively in this way can help their children do better in the short and long term.

Once people know how they are affected by their employment situation, it is important for them to take the time and put in the effort to manage these stresses the best ways that they can.

Read in more detail about this topic in my post on
The Art of Relationships blog.

catcarr007 responded:
Not until now, have I found an article so closely related to what I was searching for that closely resembles a lack of sense of purpose in connection with those in the working world and a feeling of inferiority to family and partner.

Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD replied to catcarr007's response:
I'm glad it connected with you and hope that helps in some way, even if just a little.

diaeav responded:
I am trying to file for federal disability retirement because of severe harrassment on the job at the post office which put me in a psychiatric hospital. I am feeling extremely guilty for not bringing in a pay check for the last year. I was not given Workman's Comp. My husband has been out of work for 4 years and the past year and a half has been getting contract work, if really lucky 2 or 3 days a month. He worked 9 days between May and Sept. this year. So to say the least it is really taking a toll on us. We still have a 26 year old daughter and my mother of 84 years living with us. The stress is so great it can not be measured. I am angry because I feel that my husband should be the provider for us as he had always been and I think of just leaving. But the I feel guilty for feeling that way. It has really affected how I feel about him after 35 years of marriage. I just want someone to take care of me. I feel like a little kid again having to ask if I can buy something or ask for money. It really hurts. i know he too is depressed, I am on 5 medications trying to help me cope with mine but will soon loose my insurance and will have to get off my meds. I scared of the future and just want to hide. I have lost hope of ever being happy again. I have given up it takes every ounce of energy I can muster to work on the papers to get my disability and I pray I can do it. Most days I just sleep most of the day. It is just to hard to deal with life.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

criticism hurts
In all that you do, please be careful when you criticize. Inconsiderate criticism is the Number 1 reason why couples split ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.