Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Includes Expert Content
10th Anniversary of 9-11: How did it change you?
Olivia_WebMD_Staff posted:
Many of us remember exactly where we were and what we were doing at the moment the twin towers were hit on September 11, 2001. For me, the memory still clutches at my heart.

WebMD is putting together a series of stories and blogs as we approach the 10-year anniversary of these events.

We are asking our members to tell us how 9-11 changed you or the way you see the world.

Your responses may be used in a blog post, which will showcase the words of our wonderful WebMD community members.

We look forward to hearing your stories.

barb10562 responded:
I remember not comprehending what I was seeing. The mind has trouble processing such horror. I remember the poor man who jumped. All he wanted was to go to work. Its also my anniversary and I cant really celebrate anymore. It changed all of us and our beloved America.My husbands boss was killed on flight 93. Donald Greene he had a wife and little boy and had so much to live for.All the people involved in the terror plot I hope burn in hell forever.

Jis4Judy responded:
Hi Olivia
I think at that time I didn;t believe what I was seeing but the aftereffect had me haveing dreams of firemen telling me I was ok and stop worrying ,It was a total change in my feelings of being secure . I didn;t know anyone that was directly affected by this tragedy But I do think it shook us all awake and made us more aware of differences in the people of this world .
Hugs Judy:)

Anon_22496 responded:
I remember being horrorfied.I remember seeing teachers crying, and watching the news, trying to wrap my young mind around it. I remember being confused seeing American flag dresses in Cosmo, because it seemed really buzarre that it was turning "trendy" to be proud to be an American.

I was so sad at the hate I saw pouring out of peopel in my country...disappointing to see peopel fighting hate with hate. It was sad to watch Muslem kids at school get made fun of for their believes. It was scary to see "terrorism" all over the news.It makes me sadder to see the half scrapped off bumper stickers of American flags. Like somethings changed, maybe peopel aren't proud of the wars we're fighting. It's sad to see fear in eyes at the aireport.

angelswife responded:
I lost a good friend as a result of 9-11. He didn't die in the explosions, but he had a heart attack after, when he was helping to recover the bodies. I didn't find out until two weeks after the funeral, so I never got to say goodbye. I still miss him.

I don't even turn the TV on when it's the anniversary of the bombings. The news has a bad habit of focusing on just the losses (I am not trying to minimize them, by the way). There is very little said about all the good things that grew from the tragedy, and virtually no mention of all the heroes that survived. It's like they don't even exist.

My friend was a hero; but since he didn't die on the actual day, his name is not one that is called.. I celebrate him in my own way, with both laughter and tears. I don't need television to do that.

maryfibro24yrs responded:
My dad had died 2 days before, I was still in shock from that! My daughter was in her 3rd week of BMT and my son enlisted just after!
I've never come to grips with it and still have a lot of anxiety.
Some good things that have come from the days following, my daughter met her husband while deployed in the desert and I now have a beautiful perfect grand daughter.
I met my husband online (not a dating service) and we've now been together for 10 years!
I won't watch TV or relive it via TV either

BalconyBelle replied to maryfibro24yrs's response:
I watched it live on tv. My school had video in every room, and we watched the news before classes started to keep us on track with current events. I remember we were watching something about the weather report, and how it was a beautiful day in New York, and then breaking news...I remember how at first, the newscasters thought it might have been an accident, or pilot error--and then the second tower was hit.

I remember the smoke, the emergency vechicles, the crush of people running away, I remember how the camera tracked what I though was falling debris--then zoomed in so that I could see it was a person as they fell all the way from near the top of the building to the ground. I remember the buildings collasping, see ash and debris everywhere....

There were no classes that day. Everyone--teachers, students, staff--everyone was watching the news. We lost three former students that day. They were interning at the Twin Towers, went to work that morning, and never made it out.

I remember seeing footage of the rubble as it burned, as the rescue attempts continued, as what was left of the buildings was hosed down...and feeling absolutely sick. Water and ash combined make lye...all I could think of was how the survivors, if there were any, were being doused in acid.

In the years following, I've been horrified by the way the heroes of 9/11 have been treated. So many emgency responders, Good Samaritans, and medical personnel involved in rescue efforts developed serious health issues as a result of that disaster...and they've largely been abandoned by their insurance companies, their government, the city, and the people that they saved.

I don't tend to watch the news on the anniversary of 9/11. It's something I'll never forget, so I see no need to recap footage that's already branded into my mind.
http://erynlockhart.wordpress.com

melissiahead responded:
It was at that point that I realized that my brother was fixing to be deployed overseas and that was something that was hard to swollow. I knew it was his job because that is what he signedup for when he joined the military but it is not any easy on the family left behind at anytime. He was over there almost 2 years before he came back state side and I tell him constantly who proud of him I am and the rest of our military.

lostsouls49 replied to melissiahead's response:
lived in nyc when it happened, i was having breakfast in mcdonalds when the first plane hit, i heard the worker say about the plane crashing to the first tower. i had no idea what a horrible nightmare this was going to for this country

lasttoknow responded:
Wow, this is one day i will never forget. I had just arrived to clinical (nursing) and saw it on the tv. Immediately I began to call my family back in new york(that where i was born and raised as well). The hospital was going crazy, and they put it on triage alert. so if we were next to get attacked and there was a flood of patients i would have to act independently as a nurse. I couldn't read the newspaper or watch the news for two months after it happened, because everytime i did would start bawling my eyes out. The twin towers was where we went every year on school trips, and to see it gone was unreal... I saw ground zero about a year after the attacks and just kept thinking of all the people that died, thousands. It still seems like a dream...9/11 has made me more fearful, but at the same time more dependent on someone greater that myself or those attackers. I just take life one day at a time and enjoy my family and children, because you don't know when it can all end.

Anon_18488 responded:
When I think back to that day, STILL, I become awash with a feeling of sheer terror and I find it difficult to breathe. I live in a smaller town in the midwest, along with my sister. Our brother and his family live in Brooklyn ~~ with both my brother and his wife working 'in the city' so until we located both of them, my sister and I were going crazy. To add another layer of insanity, my sister-in-law (the one we couldn't locate!) was overdue with her pregnancy! Truely, what can be said about that day???? The act was heinous and will never be explained in any way that is logical. We flew to NY exactly one month later and as we walked from the plane to the receiving area, spaced maybe ten feet apart were ARMED guards. Things, this trip and forever after, will change. Over the years of going to NY for visits, I have been blessed with meeting the neighbors. The year immediately following, I was having coffee on their deck and watched as one 'local' greeted another by just enveloping her in a hug. Here it was one year later and emotions were still so very high.....

lostsouls49 replied to Anon_18488's response:
recall that we where living in brooklyn, right by the bridge, i saw whole smoke coming across the water it traveled so far, iam the type of person that it will take alot to make me cry, months after it happened to walk past the site and saw the shell of one of the buildings that stood i never saw any thing like that in my lifre

Wpooh27 responded:
I can rember exactly where i was and what i was doing when that tragedy happened. I was in English class and the principal come over the intercom and said that they was going to have a moment of silience and we didnt have class the rest of the day we just keep the tv's turned on to keep on eye on what was going on. Also, for another reason that day has changed my life is that is my Husbands birthday.

lostsouls49 replied to Wpooh27's response:
have a question, we all knew were we where, and how we all felt that day from the horror we saw. this country pulled together through this nightmare, but ten years later has any lessons been learned?. i mean we saw what hate for this country cost us, what did we learn from this?

Wpooh27 replied to lostsouls49's response:
You know i honestly don't think that we learned anything from this. There is more hate in the world know then there was and i am not saying that has anything to do with that. But we should learn to love more since that tragedy then hate more. So i honestly dont think we have learned anything.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

criticism hurts
In all that you do, please be careful when you criticize. Inconsiderate criticism is the Number 1 reason why couples split ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.