Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Let's Vacation Honey, Separately!
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:

Have you ever taken a separate vacation from your spouse or SO?
I have with some girlfriends, and I end up thinking, Oh I wish he was here to see this!

My husband goes golfing every year with his buddies, for a week, but I have to say I do enjoy the quiet at home when he goes. Just to have a different schedule is so nice.

What about you, would you consider separate vacations?
Chrissy~

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
Author Unknown
FirstPrevious12NextLast

cjh1203 responded:
We've always taken some vacations together and some apart. Right now, he's in Virginia visiting friends and getting together with his sisters. I love having the house to myself and the time always goes by too fast.

I don't travel as much as I used to, but am hoping to take a trip to visit my best friend in England in the next several months.

We usually go someplace together a couple of times a year, for 4-5 days. We get along really well when we're away from home, so it's a nice change of pace!

tmlmtlrl responded:
My husband and I take trips together and separately. He is a farmer and with that I believe we have a pretty unique lifestyle.

He loves to snowmobile so every winter him and some friends go to the U.P. for a week. Also he takes a few long weekends in north-of-here MI to snowmobile. I am not a winter kinda girl, so I have yet to go with him. Even if I do, I want it to be 'his' thing!

I am a summer kinda girl!! Since my best friend moved away I like to go visit her during Spring break (kids outta school) and summer. I don't always take the kids though. Also if my DH can go he will.

It may sound like no time left for us to take trips together but we do. We usually go somewhere warm as a family during winter vacation, and then DH and I also fit in a couple getaways throughout the winter. We even managed to go on a short vaca this summer as a family to TN. But also we usually have some family gatherings during the summer (over the weekends) that we can do. Usually those take us to Ohio, but we're talking 4-6 hr trips so we stay!

And all of it depends on the weather, so we are last minute travelers

BalconyBelle replied to tmlmtlrl's response:
We take vacations separately; aside from day-trips, we've never vacationed together. It's something I'm looking forward to

I think even after we're married we'll occasionally travel separately, but I really can't wait to experience going somewhere fantastic, sharing it with the one I love, and waking up with him beside me the next morning.
http://erynlockhart.wordpress.com

tmlmtlrl replied to BalconyBelle's response:
Oh Balcony, one of the things to look forward to, especially cuz you don't have kids yet, is vacation sex!!!! There's nothing like it. Even if it's the same it's still different Do you two have a honeymoon planned or ideas swirling for it yet?

BalconyBelle replied to tmlmtlrl's response:
LOL....yep, I'm definitely looking forward to vacation sex (Picture manic grin & gleefully rubbing hands together). As for the honeymoon, no firms plans, but I want to be somewhere by water warm enough to swim in, and someplace where I can be as loud as I want--I don't want to have to worry about volume control & holding back on my honeymoon--I want to be able to just let go

If we do wind up staying in a hotel room or someplace where other people might hear me, I'm thinking of putting up a special "Do Not Disturb" sign: "On honeymoon, please do not disturb. I've been waiting for this for 6years, so leave me to it. Thank you! ~The Bride"

What do you think?
http://erynlockhart.wordpress.com

SoConfused73 responded:
My wife of 37 years at the time was offered a carribean cruise by her brother as a birthday gift last year - just her and him, not me. She discibes it as the time of her life, yet I get frw details why. She hasn't been the same since. I could never afford to take her on a weeklong vacation cruise so how could I say, don't go....not doing that was the worse mistake of my life..

FCL replied to SoConfused73's response:
In what way was it the worst mistake of your life? Did your wife behave badly towards you afterwards?
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

stephs_3_kidz responded:
I don't think we'd ever take separate vacations. I don't see any reason for us to. I have been to North Carolina to see my brother twice without him but I wouldn't do it again.

SoConfused73 replied to FCL's response:
She deffinatly is not the same person. She has always been the flirtatios type, every male that leaves my house gets a hug, some tighter and longer than others. We went to a wedding 2 weeks after she came home; it was the first time I've seen her drunk in a public setting. Left our table for 15 -20 minues to go to he 20 somethings table. Next, while she was sitting, she jerked her dress almost to hip hieght, when I tried to correct it, she jerked it back up.
When my son's childhood teamate was leaving for the night, she was trying to make out with the kid (22). All this brand new to me.
Went shopping for home improvement stuff, asked the guy helping us, "can I take you home with me?"
All this never happened before in 30 plus years of marriage. I could go on, but frankly, I'm too embarrassed to do so.
So, you draw your own conclusions.

clipper1956 responded:
Oh absolutely, too much togetherness makes one grouchy. I like to be alone sometimes and he likes to be around me and likes to 'air out' (talk about) problems and expects me to listen alot and I get tired sometimes (I have ADHD) and it causes me stress to focus when I'm tired. When he is away I get alot of 'me time'. I get to watch what I want on the tv for as long as I want because when he's home I have to watch what he wants alot because we have different tastes. I also don't have to cook alot of meals because he's a cornbread fed country boy and likes meals at home not alot of takeout so that's one less job to do when he's away.

clipper1956 replied to SoConfused73's response:
It seems your wife has sexual issues you need to talk to her about because she is looking for sex in other places and if a talk won't help your marriage, try counseling, because it looks as if your wife is trying to get your attention like a bad child, and that's exactly how she is acting. If none of that helps then you'de be better off divorcing her and getting another mate that will be a mate to you. She is embarrassing you and causing you humiliation.

udamay replied to tmlmtlrl's response:
I think alone vacations are wonderful! For a married couple this can be refreshing. Could be even better than going on a vacation together. I've enjoyed going to my sisters house, a few hours away or renting a small cabin for a weekend (I love to read, sleep or go to girly shops I know my husband would be sacrificing his time to go into). Not having to entertain or cater after someone is a true vacation. Some men hit their reset button by going hunting, fishing, spend time in their man cave, garage or bathroom. Everyone needs time to themselves and it can be difficult for women to sit around the house and read a book without someone needing something or dishes/laundry weighing on our minds. I consider myself blessed to have a husband who understands this, otherwise a partner could be resentful of this need or desire.

CLEN777 responded:
HEY YEAH PREFEREABLY, to experiance a change with time and to be little relaxed and free..

clen

SoConfused73 replied to clipper1956's response:
I am already in counceling. She came twice but it was enough for the theropist to identify her with a histrionic behaviour disorder. She is also a control freak, me or finances (hence why I could never afford to take her on a cruise). But she is my childhood sweetheart and I just can't walk away....yet.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

Son not speaking to Mother
Here is my story: I am a single mother of three adult children. The oldest and youngest are female and my son falls in the middle. There ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.