Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Staying 'Relatively' Happy During The Holidays
Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD posted:
The key to creating a happy holiday season is to acknowledge and respect your own feelings. This can help you respond to your relationships in healthier ways, such as:

Rely on family and friends for support.

Accept family and friends as they are. At least for the time being, focus on what you value, appreciate, and respect; leaving grievances to address at another time.

Plan ahead for expected problems. Find ways to ignore, avoid, or minimize the upset from anticipated criticisms or insults.

Allow yourself to say NO. If you are asked to attend a party, work extra hours, or do some special favor, remember that you can say no (or adjust other things to make the request less onerous).

Choose to stop comparing yourself to others. Instead, recognize your strengths or positive attributes; note that those you put on a pedestal also have their weaknesses or difficulties.

Maintain your children's routine. If you have young children, make sure they eat well and sleep enough. Doing otherwise is simply asking for trouble.

Though you can't prevent fights or problems from arising, following these suggestions are at least some ways to help you create happy memories. But, of course, there are many other ways, too.

Do you have your own to share? You can read Dr. Becker-Phelps Blog Here: Staying Relatively Happy During The Hilidays!

BalconyBelle responded:
My method for happy holiday memories is sending out lots of Christmas cards and dropping off/shipping Christmas presents out early--then disappearing for a week to someplace warm & sunny & preferably tropical. It never fails.

darlyn05 responded:
Again, great insight and suggestions. I can imagine that it may be difficult for some to say 'No', when there may also be a family function, or individual that may stir things up on a regular basis, that in the spirit of the holidays they try to overlook it. All good intended, and the outcome remains the same. Troublesome.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

Relationships and Coping Community recommended resourcesExpert
About a month ago, I asked the community here to suggest resources for finding a therapist. They suggested: Psychology Today's therapist ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.