Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Emotional Support Animals?
MsKrys26 posted:
I was wondering how I would go abouts getting a "Prescription" to keep my cat. I was diagnosed with BPD back when I was 16. I live in apartments that do not allow pets unless they are medically needed. I live In topeka Ks. WOuld I just go get a doctors note?

fcl responded:
That would be where I would start. No doubt your doc would be able to give you advice if this is not enough.

Good luck - I know what a life saver a pet can be
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

darlyn05 responded:
I think that would be a good place to start with. Ask your general physician or the doctor that you see most often, and also ask your therapist if you are seeing one. If you have a case worker or social worker that you deal with concerning your BPD you might also be able to ask them. You could do some research about organizations that deal with pets for the elderly, disabled, or special needs individuals and see if they can offer any help or direction.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

Relationships and Coping Community recommended resourcesExpert
About a month ago, I asked the community here to suggest resources for finding a therapist. They suggested: Psychology Today's therapist ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 18 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.