Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Managing the stress of care giving
Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD posted:
Caring for elderly parents or sick family members is unquestionably stressful. According to the American Psychological Association's most recent annual stress survey (2011), caregivers report higher levels of stress than other people.

If you take care of the health or welfare of family, it's essential that you also take care of yourself. The reality is that you must 'fill your tank' in order to have the energy, focus, and inner resources to tend to others for the long haul.

What do you do keep manage your stress as a care giver?

For more information on Relationships visit Dr. Becker-Phelps blog at The Art of Relationships.

Sojourner responded:
I am my 97-yr-old mother's caregiver. My brother is against me doing this and has power of attorney. He is doing everything he can to make it difficult for me. It is a hard enough job without his lack of support and mean behaviors.

fcl replied to Sojourner's response:
Why is your brother so against you taking care of her? Is he worried for you? For her? Does he have another solution to propose?
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

Trust
Was this Helpful?
0 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.