Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Are you the jealous type?
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
Jealousy stinks! Was there ever a time that you became jealous?
Has your loved one ever become jealous of something that you did, or jealous of someone that you hung out with or talked about?
Chrissy~

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
Author Unknown
FirstPrevious12NextLast

loove23 responded:
Yes that basically is a part of ever relationship, i am became jealousy of my boyfriend girl companions and so as he, he stop been so friendly and i did the same, now he gets jealousy knowing im working and say that i might find someone else.......

dfromspencer responded:
Chris, you ask some very good questions. Yes, of course i get jealous! Who does'nt? I believe that once you are in a steady relationship, you need to stop seeing your guy friends alone. Just as we guys should never see our girlfriends alone. As a couple, we need to share our friends together. Never alone, as that stirs up jealousy.

No one wants to hear "honey, i'm going over to Bills house tonight, he dont feel well", huh? What? I am the boyfriend, not Bill. You see? That goes the other way also. Trust, only reaches so far.

I truely believe, that we all suffer from jealousy. Dennis

darlyn05 replied to dfromspencer's response:
Love your response, Dennis. So true!

IslandL responded:
I'm not the jealous type. I've wondered though, if I had a more developed jealous streak would I have recognized my partner was cheating on me, or headed that way?

I don't want to change who I am, but it's possible my 'radar' could use some fine tuning.

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to dfromspencer's response:
I think you may be right Dennis, we all get jealous at times. Although I have to say at times there has been an instance where I have met a boy friend, not an ex boyfriend, without my husband, but certainly with his OK, for a casual lunch. He couldn't come for whatever reason, but always welcome. I guess if we don't give reasons for jealousy it's less of a red flag when we do meet the opposite sex.
Chrissy~

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
Author Unknown

samanthas11 responded:
I've with out a doubt been jealous as well as the other way around. The difference is, is it just. I've been mad about nothing and other times not and I think that is the important part of the relationship. You have to think for a minute first.

L4700 replied to Chris_WebMD_Staff's response:
I typically believe that trusting your partner is simultaneous with having a loving, open, honest and genuine relationship. I also believe, however, this becomes more challenging when there are previous marriages involved.

I have recently encountered situations where my husbands ex is being invited to family gatherings by other in-laws. Though my husband has stated that he has requested family members, as well as his ex, to not do this, it continues to happen. This leads me to questioning who is being honest and is now causing problems with communication - -and alas contributing to what may turn into distrust.

Anon_596 replied to L4700's response:
Hey L4700!
This has happened in my marriage and it has torn things upside down completely. Unfortunately the only ones feelings the repercussions are my husband & I, not any of the in-laws. And sadly those in-laws and the ex did and do this intentionally, and with an alternate agenda to which they have revealed. No respect or honor. So we do not attend those functions.

An_246586 responded:
Yes, my husband and I have barely been married for a year and a half. This is a second marriage for the both of us. He has a lot of friends in Mexico that he went to school, college with, etc. that he is always chatting with on Facebook. I have to admit that I am jealous of the time and attention that he pays these women. I have told him repeatedly that it bothers me and makes me feel at times that he would rather converse with them than with me. I am not from Mexico. I am from the US and sometimes I feel a little like an outsider because he has a history with these people that I don't have. I know that these are insecurities of my own that I have to learn to deal with but I don't know how. Any advice on how we can manage these issues would be appreciated.

noscreennamesareavailable responded:
I feel like jealousy--to a very small degree--is actually an indicator of a healthy relationship, as long as it is communicated and not permitted to grow. If I were going out and meeting up with other guys--friends or not--and my boyfriend didn't express any concern or "jealousy," I would wonder why. Anything that is worth having is worth fighting for and we all know that healthy relationships take a LOT of time, compromise, and TLC. Nobody is going to invest that kind of effort and emotion and not feel a little bit protective of his or her investment. I love my boyfriend and I trust him...but as someone who has cheated before (NOT something I'm proud of at all), I know how easy it is to fall into the temptation and delusion of the grass being greener. One day you're laughing and having an after work drink with a "friend"...the next, you're sneaking text messages and trying to find ways to spend more time alone. Nobody sets out to cheat...it just happens. We owe it to our partners to avoid situations that could lead to temptation outside of or a loss of intimacy within our relationships.

DixieBrandon replied to Anon_596's response:
OMG.. Same situation. My ex tries to start stuff with my husband and I, all the time. You would think he would be over it after 2 and a half years of my husband and I being married. But it does cause problems and I think both of us get jelous of others. He deff. gets jelous of my ex. I get jelous a lot too from other women looking at him or him just glancing. I think its just because I have a lack of confidence. We do have an open and trusting relationship, but like every other person said, everyone will get jelous now and then. Its natural.

pooh123456789 replied to DixieBrandon's response:
I never get jealous. If he wants to leave me, then go. There are plenty of fish in the sea.

tbkittycat responded:
Well, DH doesn't have many friends that aren't friends of both of us and that means he doesn't have any female friends. If he did have female friends, if I'd met them and he wasn't hiding them from me, I don't think I'd have a problem. I have one male friend (former co-worker) who I've had lunch with a few times. DH has met him and his family and doesn't have any problems with me seeing him for lunch. I tell him when we're having lunch and DH jokingly refers to him as my boyfriend.

monkeyfoofoo responded:
I am 29 yrs old and been with my boyfriend since I was 22. We both miss begining when we first met and got to now each other. Then I was jealous, a lil bit. At that time it was like I didn't care about anything. But when he actually came to live with me & my family, after a while thats when I started getting jealous. We had my whole family living eith us at the time. My brothers and cousins had their gfs living with us, and they were skinny and pretty. So I felt like I had to compare myself to them all the time. It has gotten alot worse now. We can't even go out with each other in public. I feel like he pays more attention to whats around him. Then puttin that attention on me while being out together as a couple. We are always arguing and being mad at each other than actually spending time with one another. I don't know what to do anymore. I love him even more now. I do trust him as far as cheatin cause I no that he won't. I just don't like the fact that he stares at other women. This has been tearing us more and more apart from each other. Can some1 please help me or give me any kind of advice. I really want us to work out, all our yrs together is just gettin worse. We both don't want to live like this anymore. And I just don't no how to change... Thanks

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

How to choose a therapistExpert
Choosing a therapist is an important decision because entering therapy is a big investment; it takes energy, time, and money. So, take the ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.