Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Do you have a temper?
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
Have you been described as having a short fuse, hot head, low boiling point?

Do you lose your temper with your loved one? Do we tend to take things out on the ones we love?

Share your thoughts for Chrissy to see when she returns from her week away and fun in the sun.

Elizabeth

3point14 responded:
I used to have the worst temper ever. I had a point where once I went off, I was off. I think the worst thing in a fit of temper I've done in this relationship was to shred a beautiful bouquet of flowers during an arguement and throw them at my BF.

Fortunately, medication, talk therapy, and my really supportive BF have helped immensely. It's been about three months since I've allowed my temper to control me, and I feel much more even in general.

That being said, medication, therapy and my BF have not quelled in me the passion that makes my temper so easily goaded. When I feel as though someone is infringing on my relationship, I'm apt to let lose with a string of screamed profanities, but I'm just more in control of my actions now, even when furious. I refuse to be walked on or to let my loved ones be walked on.

Most of my anger was based on anxiety. Now, having less fear and panic and more control has made my temper an arsenal against crappy treatment, and as a result I feel has made me a stronger partner and person in general.

rohvannyn responded:
I don't feel like I have much of a temper but lately my spouse has been acting as if I'm angry all the time. I don't necessarily feel angry, but then I start to doubt if I really am angry but am in denial or something... it's a mess. I had a temper when I was a lot younger but these days I don't feel like I have permission to be angry. (Permission from the great nebulous THEY, that is). Who knows?

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

dating a married man?
He will never be yours, even if he does leave his wife for you. Your actions say nothing good about you. You will have a lot of explaining ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.