Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Sibling Rivalry?
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:

How close are you to your siblings? Get along? Does your relationship with your family reflect how you are with your SO and your kids if any?
Was it important that your SO be part of a family that was close?
Chrissy~

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
Author Unknown

fcl responded:
I only have on sibling - a brother - and he is very dear to me. There was a time when I resented him because I felt that I was the one who had to push back barriers, break rules, etc. and he just had to stroll past once it was done. It's not easy being the elder (by 3 years). Plus I was a rebel (but the kind who used brute reason rather than brute force) and he was an easy-going individual.

We became friends in our teens. We made a wickedle good snooker/pool/billiards duo he's a right-hander and I'm a leftie. He's in England and I'm in France these days and I miss him even now. He and his wife (a great woman that I am proud and happy to call my SIL) intend to move to the other side of the world some time in the next ten years and the idea of never seeing him again is breaking my heart and I don't know how to tell him that ... I wish I could see him more often.

What I wish I could give my children that I had in my family is just that ... family. I admit I feel guilty about not being able to. When I was a child I had a total of over 20 cousins (from both sides of the family. There was always someone to play with (and often several!) when we went to see our grandparents. We often had family just dropping in because they happened to be in the same town. It was fun! These days, my family is all at the other end of the continent and my SO's family is 50 miles away and the 4 cousins are all much older than my children and not much interested in them ...

Aaargh ... I'm having a maudlin kind of afternoon. Sorry.
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

dfromspencer responded:
I have two older brothers, and one younger (Adopted) sister. I love them all dearly! Sure, we had our spats growing up, who don't? I live real close to my oldest brother, and i get to see him alot. Not so much the other two. They both live across the state.

I don't believe family had much of an impact on how i was with my ex-wife? It did with my children though. I tried to get them to play the games i did growing up. But, alas, in this day, with all the computer games, it did not work so well.

My ex-wife was not from a very close family. She told me once, how she envied my close family. After that, i tried to get her more involved with my family. She was a terribly shy person, so, this did not work well for her.

I will say this, I am so glad i have my family. Dennis

candykissesaresweet replied to dfromspencer's response:
hey chris can answer this even though there is no so

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I was close to both my brothers growing up even though one of them was 12 1/2 years younger. My younger brother, he's 3 years younger, and I would sleep in the same bed for nights on end or I'd sleep in his room on the bottom bunk. My "little" brother got me interesting in hockey and that's how I met my husband. I'm not as close to my younger brother as before because he seems to have changed and his wife agrees. He seems to criticize more, especially how I'm raising my kids and the fact that my parents watch my kids more than his. He lives 2 hours away so it isn't as convenient for my parents to watch his kids as it is mine since I'm in the same city as my parents.

My little brother currently lives in Germany and is actually in town for the next month. I miss him when he's gone. This is the 2nd time we've seen him since 2008 when he first left to travel.

My SO loves getting together with my family. He's one of two siblings and they weren't close for a long time because his ex and his sister didn't get along. DH's family is smaller and he got overwhealmed a bit when we first met everyone one Thanksgiving.

I'd love DD and DS to be close. They already are and I hope they stay close.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

Trust
Was this Helpful?
0 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.