Skip to content

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Includes Expert Content
LOOKING TO START A NEW RELATIONSHIP WHERE DO I START?
kisha252 posted:
WELL IM NEW TO THIS DATEING STUFF I BEEN WITH THE FATHER OF MY CHILD FOR 4 YEARS .... JUNE 20 2011 HE WAS KILLD BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT HE WAS SOMEONE ELSE.... PAIN PAIN PAIN... ANYWAY ITS LIKE IM NEW TO DATEING AGAIN I DNT KNW WHERE TO START . IM AM A SINGLE MOM NOW AND I WORK FULL FULL FULL LOL TIME SO I REALLY DNT HAVE TIME TO LOOK FOR WHAT I WANT .. BEEN ON A FEW DATEING SITES THEY SEEM SO REAL BUT IM JUST SCARED ON GETTING SCAMMED
SO WHAT DO YALL THINK?

dfromspencer responded:
First, be wary of any on the job romances. Other than that, make, and keep yourself available for romance. You never know where you'll find it. Take your child to parks, many single men take their kids to the park. Eveeryone has to grocery shop, its possible to meet someone there. As for the dating sites, well, i have had little success with them.

One thing i would like to say, do not work so much, that you neglect to enjoy the little pleasures of raising your child. Being with him/her as much as possible is the key to a wonderful, lasting relationship between you. Just saying!

Hope this helps a little, good luck! Dennis

kisha252 replied to dfromspencer's response:
thanks so much for the advise dennis ... yeah im not going to work to hard my baby needs me .... and im just going to stop looking and let love find me........

Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD replied to kisha252's response:
I am so sorry to hear about what happened to your child's father. It must continue to hurt you deeply. My first piece of advice is to make sure you are ready to date again. If you still struggle a lot, you might want to find a support group .
You might also consider whether there are opportunities for dating in your life now- ones that you haven't been open to before. You might let friends and family know that you are open to dating - they might know or meet someone to set you up with. Do you belong to a club, church/temple, or any organization? There could be opportunities there. Or, maybe there is some activity or club you'd like to get involved with (and maybe can do with your child with you) - this way you can do something you enjoy whether or not you meet someone (but it puts you in the position to meet someone you have something in common with).

While it's great to be open to love finding you, it can help to send out an open-to-dating message.

Also, dating sites can be very frustrating, but some people do meet their partners there. It might be worth a try. Just proceed cautiously. If you want to meet someone, be safe about it. Do it in a public place; and you might want to meet over a cup of coffee as opposed to a whole meal or some other long activity that can seem forever if you know quickly that you are not interested.

Good luck and please let us know how you are doing or if you have more questions.

kisha252 replied to Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD's response:
OK THANKS AND IM LOOKING FOR A SUPPORT GROUP NOW.....

Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD replied to kisha252's response:
Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

Relationships and Coping Community recommended resourcesExpert
About a month ago, I asked the community here to suggest resources for finding a therapist. They suggested: Psychology Today's therapist ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.