Skip to content

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Has trying to show you care backfired on you?
Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD posted:
There are many common errors people make when trying to be a good, supportive listener. For instance, they might be overly positive, defensive, or too quick to try to fix the problem all of which might leave their partner to feel like they don't really care about them.

Have you sometimes made the situation worse when trying to be supportive? Where have you gone wrong? (Or, if you don't know, maybe we can help you figure it out.)

For this and more information, please visit Dr. Becker-Phelps blog, here on The Art of Relationships

Chris_WebMD_Staff responded:
I can't think of a specific time, but there are times when I realize I should just be quiet and listen and not say anything, but be positive.

Sometimes, for me, I just need to say things out loud, and that helps me figure a bad situation out sometimes. I suppose if I start to ask question, then I want more feedback, but sometimes a person just needs to speak til someone listens.

it's not always easy, and sometimes my husband has even said, do you want me to answer that or are you just getting something off your chest.

Always best to just ask!
Chrissy~

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
Author Unknown

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

How to choose a therapistExpert
Choosing a therapist is an important decision because entering therapy is a big investment; it takes energy, time, and money. So, take the ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.