Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Includes Expert Content
Ever Thought of Going on Strike at Home?
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
Often, one person in the household gets stuck with doing the majority of the "house" work. Finally fed up, this mom decided to go on strike to show her two daughters what would happen if mom didn't pick up after them for a week.

Does the housework (or lack thereof) cause stress in your family relationships?

Would you ever consider going on strike at home?

How do you get your family to chip in around the house?
Chrissy~

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
Author Unknown

timvasi responded:
When you make the decision to have children, with that comes responsibility.

You need to teach your children right and wrong, and to clean up after themselves. This should be done constructively and positively, not negatively or negligently like the poor example from Jessica Stilwell.

I can certainly understand her frustration with the situation but it is her own failure as a parent that got her to that point. Yes, I said it, she is the root cause of her own frustrating situation!

Her little strike, borders on neglect and what many would consider endangering the welfare of her children. If The Child Protective Services people walked in to her house during her "strike" she'd probably be blogging about how unfair and mean the people from Child Protective Services are.

Maybe its Jessica needs to change her ways, which ultimately will change the actions of her children.

SOFISTICATED40SUMTHIN responded:
I am a mother of two and have gone on strike one day when they neglected to their chores. I decided NOT to do their laundry, they were to do it themselves. And quite frankly, I dont regret it. They learned responsibility. And just for the record, I havent done their laundry since then, theyve been doing it all this time : )

Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD responded:
As with any relationship, parent-child relationships work best when there is good communication. I think of childhood as, in part, a very long training period. There is a lot that children need to learn; including the importance of being part of the family "team." While it's frustrating and exhausting to have to repeat ad nauseum your expectations to your children, this is part of parenting. Of course, it often helps to back your conversations and directives with consequences. I favor giving lots of praise for helping out, but negative consequences can also be very helpful. Sometimes there's nothing as motivating as losing an iPod or video game time until toys or other messes are cleaned up.

As for going on strike, it's an understandable impulse. However, it's not teaching good, respectful communication or good problem-solving (it's usually a response of last resort and an expression of frustration and spite).

fcl responded:
Housework is no problem here. From the very start we shared all the chores - you choose the ones you like doing and the ones you hate least (lol). Or at least that's the theory. In reality, we're a tag team that takes care of whatever needs taking care of.

We're working on teaching our daughters to do so too (I refuse to raise them to think that they do the housework in a couple just because they're female - I wasn't raised like that and I don't want to see them behaving like that).

They're only ten so they haven't learned to really "see" what needs to be done but they definitely do chores that we ask them to do (setting the table, emptying the dishwasher, hanging out the laundry).

IMO, extreme measures like going on strike only serve to underline the fact that there is something you haven't got quite right.
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD replied to SOFISTICATED40SUMTHIN's response:
I think you raise an important issue. If I am understanding you correctly - that you refused to do your children's chores for them - then I don't think of that as going on strike. Requiring children to have chores and holding them accountable for their responsibilities reinforces the importance of them being responsible.

When I think of parents going on strike, I think of them refusing to do all of their own chores to show the family how much they do. Whether or not you think parents striking is a good idea, it is different from holding a firm stance of requiring that children do their own chores.

dfromspencer responded:
I raised my children to know that they have responsibilities, not only in the household, but in life, also. Yes, there were times i had to take away video games, or outside play time. For the most part, all i had to do, was tell them why it needed done. They understood more when it was explained to them. Communication is the most important part of any relationship! I never talked down to my kids, rather, i talked to them like an adult. They got it alot faster that way.

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to dfromspencer's response:
I've never felt the need to strike, don't think I would.

I have to say there were times when I have felt taken advantage of, and it was then where I voiced how I was feeling.

Gosh I know that in any relationship, be it, as a couple or the relationships with our kids or our parents, if you turn your head for one moment the mess will begin to pile up.

Yes, communication is everything!
Chrissy~

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
Author Unknown

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I know my husband has threatened to go on strike if I don't help pick up more. I have a higher tolerance for clutter than he does and it drives him crazy.

I do occasionally help him by picking up. I put myself in charge of the dishes so if we run out of dishes, it's my fault.

bjane41 replied to timvasi's response:
Sometimes you can try and try to get children to help with household chores with little or no reaction. I'm glad you live in a perfect world and everthing is great for you. Working full time and trying to keep up with 4 children and their school activites and all of the housework cna be a bit much. Don't put that mom down unless you've been in her shoes. It gets really old doing everything yourself no matter what you do. Also if your children aren't teenagers yet just wait!

mightymom responded:
Necessity made my mom train us to pick-up after ourselves as children. Likewise, I did the same with my children. Take time to teach your children early and give them grace to learn to do it your way.

Fishyswaze responded:
I have the most relevant story to this.

When I was a kid my mom finally got fed up with our mess and decided that she was going on strike until we could no longer stand ourselves in our mess and cleaned it ourselves. Unfortunately for her before this time came something else happened. Due to a large misunderstanding our neighbors thought that our house had been broken into and we had all been shot causing our small town to send out an infra red helicopter and around 5 police cars. When we got home the cops had already done a search for the people inside of our house which they of course found nothing but said they believed the house had been ransacked. My mom had to explain she just went on strike.

She never went on strike again after that.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

Relationships and Coping Community recommended resourcesExpert
About a month ago, I asked the community here to suggest resources for finding a therapist. They suggested: Psychology Today's therapist ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 18 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.