Skip to content

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Includes Expert Content
How soon after marriage did you try for a baby?
An_241258 posted:
I'm just curious to see how soon after marriage did people try for a baby?

I know everyone is different. We got married recently and I want to enjoy just time for us 2, but at the same time i'm 28 and hardly get a period so don't want to wait too long.

But before i do that, I'm curious to see what others think about when they felt it was fine to start trying to conceive?

fcl responded:
Personally, I think it is EXTREMELY important to take the time to build and nurture your couple before even considering bringing a baby into the mix. Give yourselves a couple of years to develop that special connection first

I suggest you consult your gyn about your fears about fertility.

Good luck on your new life together!
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD responded:
As with so much else in relationships, it is essential that you figure out what is right for you and that you and your spouse decide the best timing for the two of you. As you've pointed out, making sure that you are both comfortable with the time you've had just for the two of you is an important part of this decision.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
We started right away because we had already discussed having kids right away.

My cousin adopted and she and her husband decided to wait a few years after getting married to adopt. HIs reasoning was that if she were to get pregnant (unlikely due to hormone issues) they would have 9 months to get ready but if they adopted, they would get a call and have to be ready for the baby in a few days.

An_241258 replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
Thanks for your answers. It is hard! Especially nowadays where most people live together and really marriage for us hasnt really changed anything.
I'm sure we'll know the right time though, and in the meanwhile enjoy each other!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

How to choose a therapistExpert
Choosing a therapist is an important decision because entering therapy is a big investment; it takes energy, time, and money. So, take the ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.