Skip to content

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Includes Expert Content
How do we find "BEST" friends?
dfromspencer posted:
Hi, i'm Dennis, and this is my story.

Recently, i lost my one and only best friend to cancer. His name was Joe, and i met him eight years ago. I'll be 54 in Dec., he would have been 59 this November. Joe was a true best friend, he knew how to be a real friend. I had never had a real best friend before Joe. Sure, i had friends, but no one was ever a true friend to me. By that i mean, someone who, if they said they would be there they would. Only Joe was like that, he would give you the shirt right off his back, if he knew you needed it. Joe was there for me, through thick and thin, be it financial, or just to talk to. Joe was my rock! Now he's gone, and i am all alone.

I only got to be with Joe for eight short years. Those eight years were filled with fun, contentment, and fulfillment. We did most everything together. We were living in Omaha, and at that time i was trying to get my S.S.I. going. Joe lived about five miles from me, and he would walk down to my place almost daily, just to check on me. On the days he couldn't make it, he would call. Several times, he came down to see if i needed cigaretts? If i did, he would make me stay home, and he would walk the mile and a half to get me some. I was having trouble with walking at that time. He knew this, and would not let me go with him. That is how my best friend was.

After i got my S.S.I. going, i saved enough money to move up to Spencer, so i would be closer to my brother. I asked Joe to move with me, and he did. On the day we moved, i found out that, i had rented a place right across the yard from his two daughters, and three grandchildren. What a coincidence! Joe made me a part of his family. So, in return, i would take him up to my brothers house. We shared everything.

Now he's gone, and i am all alone. At his funeral, i got to thinking, was I as good a friend as he was to me? I hope i was? There was nothing i would not do for that man! I loved him dearly, I loved him like a brother.
I can't believe he's gone? We had plans for the next thirty years. I have no idea, what i am going to do now? I feel lost, and helpless.

This is where you come in... How do I go about finding a new best friend? Joe and I kind of bumped into each other, and hit it off right away. I didn't have to search for him. How do I go about this? Please help me, I feel so clueless right now???

Thank you for listening, I hope you will help me?

Dennis

dfromspencer replied to love2lol2's response:
Hiya, Pal

Hope you are as well as can be, i am ok. I sent an e-mail to (hopefully) your account. If you get it, write me there at mine. I hope you get it? Let me know, here, or there, if i don't write back, ok?

Thank you, dear friend.
Dennis

love2lol2 replied to dfromspencer's response:
Hi Dennis!

I have not rec'd anything as of yet ;-( love2lol2 ? Try again?

love2lol2 replied to love2lol2's response:
;-/ or maybe love2lol2@live.com?

Missed not talking to you today. Made me a bit sad I guess. LOL but I did notice I put my email for everyone to see here the second time,,,oh well not too worried, at least it's not my house address huh?

Hope you had a gr8 day today. Happy Veteran's Day, and THANKS SO MUCH for all you did!! I adore you for that!

I had a boring day,,, played on the computer for the most part. Nothing major. Tomorrow I get Ember, my Grand Daughter so I'll have a better one. She always brightens my day. I love her so much and she loves to make me laugh.

I saw you like to cook ey? What is it you like to cook the most? I've never been very good at it and think men make much better cooks than most women. I like to bake though. What is your favorite meal? Would you rather cook for someone, have someone cook for you, or go out?

Have you smiled today? If not, imagine I am standing in front of you, what would I be doing to get you to laugh? Tell me what I did tomorrow k?

Hey Mickey you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind! Hey Mickey! Hey Mickey! (admit it, you sang that while reading it didn't you?).

AOYP, Love Ya!
Hugs and Spoons,
Vicki

dfromspencer replied to love2lol2's response:
Hiya, Pal

OMG!!! I am so sorry! I meant to tell you yesterday, that i had an appointment at the Sioux Falls V.A. hospital today! Last night, i stayed with my brother. I reread my post, and sure enough, i completely forgot to put that in. How do you like that? I have to chalk that one up to braindead syndrome! Don't laugh! That happens to me alot, LOL! I cannot believe i did that to you??? Please forgive me, it won't happen again. Actually, i had better not promise that? I never know when the braindead syndrome might attack? It happens,,, ALOT!!!

I had my Pain Management appointment today. All went well, i think? He did the normal tests, poked me with a pin, hit me with a hammer to test reflexes, things like that. Counted my meds, to see if i am abusing them. Talked to me about the upcomming surgery. And as soon as i walked out, my brother was done with his appointment. Went back to my bro's house, watched the rest of Posiden Adventure, packed up my boys, and came home.

Now you can see, just how exciting my day was. LOL!!! We got up at 4am this morn., just to make it there by 7:30am., for my bro's first appt.. Mine wasn't till 9am., so i had to wait awhile. Done by ten, and we were out of there!

I am sorry you had a boring day, yesterday. I hope having your granddaughter today made everything worthwile? I wish i could see my grandbabies? I miss them soooooo much!

Oh yes, i love to cook! And yes, i would definately prefer to do the cooking! Well, i guess that would depend on the occassion? I would not mind being catered to on "Father's Day", or my birthday. What do i like to cook the most? Hmmm? You know, i really can't say? I like to cook everything! My fave tho, is meatloaf. I have several recipies i like. Then there's chicken. I had a special way to make it for my kids, i called it "Daddy's Dung Choi Ping Chicken". My kids loved it, and all i did was, sprinkle it with garlic and onion powder, and splash on some soy sauce. Then bake it, thats it. We all loved it, LOL Put a little steamed rice on the side, and green beans, and you have a meal. You should try my pork chops, Yuuuuum Yuuuum!

Yes MOM, i smiled alot today. LOL I smiled at my brother, my Dr. A couple of nurses, my boys, and myself. I find i can smile alot easier now. And thats all thanks to you! You have taken alot of my pain and sadness away. And for that, i am very greatful to you! Thank you my friend, thank you!!!

Once again, i have tried the e-mail route. I hope it works this time? And NO, i was not singing Mickey. I was singing Thats What Friends Are For! Thank you! LOL You are soooo much fun, you know that? You have made me laugh more than anyone else. Thanks Pal!

I'm not very good with acronyms, what is AOYP?

Till next time, take very good care of those spoons. Love ya right back at cha!!!

Dennis
LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

AOYP= Angels On Your Pillow
ABWY= Angels Be With You

I am so glad your appt. went so well today! I'll forgive you for your brain malfunction lol I too have one much like yours. I always say my brain is like a library in that someone is always checking out books and most of the time they neglect to return them. Ahhh maybe one day my shelves will be fully stocked once again but I highly doubt it hehehe.

Who or what are your 'boys'? I'm guessing dogs?

And ohhh yes! I'd love to have some of your cooking! I love all the stuff you described! My favorite is pork chops then chicken, then just about anything made with hamburger. Not big on steak but I'll eat it lol.

MOM?? HaHaHa!! Hey! I'm the smile police! I have a smiley face badge and everything!! I'm so glad you are smiling again Dennis! Makes my heart happy <3 Oh and YES!! I got your email! Now I'm doing the 'Happy Camper Dance'!!!

I'll take good care if you do!!
Hugs and Spoons,
Vicki

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

Relationships and Coping Community recommended resourcesExpert
About a month ago, I asked the community here to suggest resources for finding a therapist. They suggested: Psychology Today's therapist ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.