Skip to content

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
I love my dear friend, her significant other, not so much
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
Do you have a dear or best friend that you enjoy spending time with and see often but don't like their significant other?

How do you handle it when you really can't stand your best friend's SO?
Chrissy~

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
Author Unknown

Anon_43 responded:
My BFF's husband is getting more vocal about his views on certain topics that are very upsetting to me. Whenever we meet now, he will bring these things up within a minute or two, despite him knowing I vehemently disagree. Aside from that he's fairly arrogant, doesn't treat her as well as he should, and so on. And as I get older I find it less and less tolerable to be around him.

Thankfully, aside from a few family get-togethers (our kids are quite close as well), I've never needed to be around him much. And now I make a point of staying as far away from him as possible.

My BFF doesn't know. She's aware his viewpoints distress me and she doesn't like them either, but I've never said how very much this is impacting me. It would only upset her and she's got enough on her plate and I don't see how telling her would help. So my strategy has been avoidance of him. How long I can keep that up, I don't know. I'm just really afraid that voicing this to her would affect our long-term friendship and that's very precious to both of us.

SoCalSuz responded:
I have this issue with a good friend. Husband and I love the wife and kids. However, husband is a confrontational know-it-all with a temper. (Others agree, it's not just us!)

We don't do family get togethers anymore, I just see my friend one-on-one.

It's a bummer

Suz

Anon_179659 responded:
I do not have this preoblem with my friends but I know this post makes me think of my hubby. My friends cant stand him and sadly I dont see much of my friends unless my hubby isnt home. Some will come and just put up with him. I feel real bad about it too because sometimes I agree with them and it embarresses (sp) me. Like the post above me says my friends think he is a "confrontational know-it-all with a temper". OOFTA.

An_249167 replied to Anon_179659's response:
Sounds like something worth addressing. May be important to help him understand how it makes you feel, and to help him get the avenues he needs to expressing him opinions, like Facebook or local social clubs.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

How to choose a therapistExpert
Choosing a therapist is an important decision because entering therapy is a big investment; it takes energy, time, and money. So, take the ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.