Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Includes Expert Content
curb a need
An_241258 posted:
I know this is probably a typical question of a young fertile woman, but how do you curb that need for starting a family?

I'm 28 and a newlywed. I know kids bring a lot of responsibility and change our lives, so i want to wait...i really do! But it is hard when some friends have kids, and even as a young child I couldnt wait to be able to have kids.
One of my first thoughts after getting married is that now the dream of kids is actually becoming real, its what I've always wanted.

My husband looks forward to it too, but i dont think wants it just yet and I definitely don't want to rush him.

So how do you curb the baby want/need?

Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD responded:
Congratulations of being newly married! I hope that you are enjoying your time together as husband and wife. If in fact you really do want to wait, then you may find it helpful to directly address your inner conflict around this. People often do best in dealing with conflicts by acknowledging them and the feelings around them. Think about the negative side of waiting and the feelings around that. Then think about the positive side of waiting-- and do this in detail. Really imagine all the benefits of doing what you want to do -- waiting to have children. For instance, imagine vacations you might go on or other activities you might enjoy together. Also, talk about all of this with your husband. In this way, you can both share the anticipation of having a family as well the enjoyment of being free from the burden of responsibilities of children... until you are ready.

Good luck; and enjoy!

An_241258 replied to Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD's response:
Thanks for your answer! Thats a great idea to do a pros and cons list.
I did one briefly myself and it has helped me to put things in perspective. It will be nice to see how it compares to hubbies
thanks again!

Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD replied to An_241258's response:
Glad it helped. Please let us know how it goes.

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

Relationships and Coping Community recommended resourcesExpert
About a month ago, I asked the community here to suggest resources for finding a therapist. They suggested: Psychology Today's therapist ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.