Skip to content

Announcements

Attention: The information provided in this forum is intended for educational purposes only, and is not a substitute for individual professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Includes Expert Content
Depressed
Anon_11642 posted:
Hi - feeling depressed today - I joined facebook a few weeks ago and it seems all I do is watch - I don't post - I am amazed at what people post about and am thinking of signing off. I just joined to see my grandkids mainly but have 40+ friends and I have a niece and great niece that post day after day with pics of themselves and all the fun they are having.

I am not having fun - I shouldn't feel sorry for myself as I have a lot to be thankful for. I do live in a small town and there are things to do but not the caliber that I read on facebook with distant relatives in a big city. I rarely post - and guess what I'm saying it is depressing to me.

Am sure there are a lot of you out there that love facebook. I know what you are going to say - just quit it and maybe I will - I can't believe the things they post - so trivial and every time they go somewhere they post and I get it in my email etc.

I know I need to work on my life - but right now am just down. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day? It really makes me think about my life and what I am lacking in my life - like fun - my husband loves working at the farm and I find myself alone a lot and he is retirement age.

Anyway, just venting my frustrations if that's ok. Thanks for listening.

dfromspencer responded:
Hi

Hey, stop thinking like that! We all have our bad days. Some are worse than others, but we all suffer thru. I am glad you came here, if only to vent. I love this site. Without this site, I would be the epitome of loneliness! I don't have any friends where i live. I now have one new best friend here on this site, i talk with her daily. She keeps me from feeling so depressed.

Facebook, any of that social media, is for the younger generation, as far as i am concerned, anyway. I'm almost 54, and i just do not like Facebook. Mostly, for the very same reasons you posted. So, don't feel bad.

If you would rather, join an on-line card game, or something to that effect? Chances are, you will meet many more people in the same situation you find yourself in? Perhaps, you would rather start your own club? Something you like to do, other's will too. Maybe a sewing club, or quilting club? Its a way to get others to join you for fun. Oh, i know, a cooking club! Everyone likes to cook, well at least i do.

Anyway, good luck, and have a better day tomorrow!
Dennis

sunflower1943 replied to dfromspencer's response:
Thanks so much - I already feel better - yeah facebook is for the younger set - really - thanks again for posting. Feel better already today.

Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD responded:
As Dennis said, everyone has their ups and down; but I'm guessing that you have been down lately (or maybe a long time), not just today. That can be a really painful way to feel, so I'm sorry you are going through this. I know it can be hard to get yourself moving when you are down, but it also really can help. And maybe reaching out here is a start?

Do you have people around who you can visit with? Socializing can help a lot.

You say you aren't having fun. What are things you used to do for fun? Can you do any of these?

Also, it helps to exercise when you are down -- it can give you a boost in energy.

These are just a few thoughts I had reading your post. I hope they give you some ideas for how to pull through this time.

You said in your last response that you are feeling better. I hope that continues; and I also hope you continue to do things to help yourself feel better.

Take care.

Anon_11642 replied to Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD's response:
I think my problem most of my life is being sensitive so when I get a little down, etc it affects me more than most people - I guess thin skinned.

Like the birthday deal when my son and wife come over with their son and just a card - I feel I'm not appreciated - my husband says he has so much on his mind - true - but yet if I were important wouldn't he bring at least a flower or such. It's not that I want a material thing - anything would be appreciated other than just a card. I babysit a lot over the last 4 years.

Anyway, thanks for your response. Saying something would make things worse I believe - and my friend tells me if you want to see your grandchild don't say anything and so I haven't. People all over get their feelings hurt - we just have to learn how to cope better and get through it without being so sensitive.

Thank you for your time.

dfromspencer replied to Anon_11642's response:
I am so sorry! I did not realize you just had a birthday? Happy Birthday to you!!!!

A card? One lousy card? Wow! You must have felt very unappreciated? Your son, and his wife, along with their son, your grandson, gave you a card? No cake, nothing? Oh wow! I can only imagine how you felt?

We parents/grandparents are sometimes treated very unfairly. By our own families, no less! I guess the younger generation are more "self oriented" than we were? I was never, and never will be selfish when it comes to family! I give them my all, and usually get little to nothing in return. Such is life, i guess?

Your husband needs a talking to. Busy is one thing, but neglect is another! Good luck!
Dennis
LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

Featuring Experts

Dr. Becker-Phelps is a well-respected psychologist, who is dedicated to helping people understand themselves and what they need to do to become emotio...More

Helpful Tips

Same thing here
My boyfriend use to hold me as we slept, now it is i have to hold him or he wants to hold hands. The intamcy is not like it use to be and ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.