Includes Expert Content
Can Men and Women Be Just Friends?
Chris_WebMD_Staff posted:
Are you friends with the opposite sex?
Is it ok to get e-mails and correspond with the opposite sex in your relationship?

How do you feel about this? Can men and women be just friends?
Chrissy~

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
Author Unknown
FirstPrevious12NextLast

fcl responded:
Yes, I have male friends and, yes, men and women can be just friends. My partner is aware that I keep in touch with them and has no problem with that. I've never hidden the fact from him (what on earth would there be to hide???) and he knows them it's a pretty normal situation.

I never really understood people who say that men and women can't be friends because sooner or later someone will want sex ... I don't think of my friends that way. I'd no more think of them sexually as I'd think of my brother sexually, i.e. NEVER. They're friends
There's nothing inherently dirty about sex, but if you try real hard and use your imagination you can overcome that.

Leslie Becker-Phelps, PhD responded:
My thought is that men and women can be friends, but it is inevitably different than same sex friendships. Men and women have some different experiences in this world (whether because of biology or socialization). Sometimes these differences are frustrating and at other times they can be enlightening (or provide balance).

dfromspencer responded:
Hi, Chrissy

Oh absolutely! I have had female friends with whom i have had great relationships. I have never kept secrets from any of my ladies. I like the openess. If we can't get along with the opposite sex, how do we get along?

Nice picture, Chrissy! You have a beautiful smile.

Take care!

Dennis
LIVE LONG, LOVE WELL!!!

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Yes, I have a friend of the opposite sex. DH has met him and his family and even jokingly calls him my boyfriend. We've had lunch together a few times and I alway tell DH. We occasionally e-mail, usually about work or people we have in common. He even came to one of DH's band's gigs.

He is someone that if we were both single, I wouldn't mind dating but since neither of us is single, I don't think of him "that way."

Chris_WebMD_Staff replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
Thank you Dennis, that's sweet of you to say.

I agree, I think men and women can be great friends. Some of my best friends are men.

It helps with all other relationships in my life, kind of a different view on things with a man's perspective.

All really good points!
Chrissy~

Life is too short, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly.
Author Unknown

love2lol2 responded:
Oh Yes Chrissy!! I get along better with men than women I think. I have female friends but I seem to have more in common with my male friends most of the time.

bpcookie responded:
Yes!!!!! Men and Women can be just friends BUT it takes a special kind of man. Men are wired differently then women are. Most men see a woman as a woman. They are wired to mate and I believe its difficult for(SOME) men to see past that. Women can have male friends and they see them as just one of her pals.

Ive had some bad experiences which hurt me. I was so naive. Had many male friends at work and I thought they saw me as only a friend. Later I found out differently.

I did have ONE male friend who I trusted completely. He became my very best friend. We did everything together. We were inseparable. He was a great friend.

So girls, if you find that perfect guy friend, hold on to him because he will be one of the best friends you have ever had.

clipper1956 responded:
As long as the opposite sex person is not single and the mate is good friends with the other spouse otherwise you're opening up a problem to start to happen. Why do men and women get together, it's the sex thing, there is an attraction. Every male friend I had wanted to bed me down. I'm sorry but if you're friends with the opposite sex someone wants more or they would be hanging around with the same sex.

clipper1956 replied to clipper1956's response:
sorry.... the mate is good friends with the person.

Tarzanoir responded:
I have a female friend....a long distance friend i Houston. I live in Maryland. I get and receive emails and occasionally call and
receive calls.....maybe less than once a month. We have been friends since her daughter was a tike. Now she is in grad school.My girlfriend has a jealous streak.She does not handle any idea of me and another female in any form.There has never been anything more than calls for advice or crisis management ....sharing info or joy or sorrow.The point is,my girlfriend doesn't know of the contact. It is only because I know how she would react.I limit the calls to ten minutes...except when her mother died.I see no harm. We are very good friends.
If my girlfriend showed a more mature attitude ,I would have no problem sharing everything.

onesmartperson responded:
Yes...for the most part men and women can be friends....unless the friendship turns out like this one did...I had a male friend who...I know for a fact was in love with me but knew better than to ever say anything or approach the subject with me because he knew that it would be the end of the friendship...so instead of not having me at all, he settled for the close friendship we had...notice I keep saying had...every time I was in a relationship, he would sabotage it...he would tell that the guy was no good and that he was a user...that he would talk bad about me and really didn't love me...stuff like that...so I decided it was time to end the "friendship"...I don't need people like that in my life.

PhigNewton replied to onesmartperson's response:
We live in a world of openness! Why would anyone want to prevent their partners from having friend of the opposite sex regardless of their marital status? As long as my partner wants to be with me at the end of the day unless she is out of town. We must trust each other no matter what the occurrence, and then there is no question where their loyalty lies. As we get older, that entire teenage BS disappears.
Phig

ikeposton responded:
Mature and true friends of the opposite sex is a great way to test your feeling or get a second opinion, for sometimes we need just that special and honest friend of the opposite sex to keep us on the right track.

My best friend of 26 years is as close as a sister, she helped me through a divorce and is still there in my new marriage to someone else.