Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
side effects, skin cancer
fsf47 posted:
i was diagnosed with ra over twenty years ago. started taking methotrexate and plaquenil several years ago. have had skin cancer three times. has anyone else experienced this side effect.

potterpot responded:
Hi fsf47,I also have RA. The doctor put me on many meds. but the one plaquenil, gave me a rash all over my body. Then I got skin cancer on my face also. I had to have surgery to remove it. Right now I am not taking anything.The doctor was talking about maybe humara or etc. I get all the bad side effects.

kjg56 responded:
Hi fst47, I'm kjg56, my post is 8 above yours. I only started what you are taking in Nov. 2010. plus predisone. I went to the dermatoligist and he said what I had then was granny spots, as in old age I guess. I'm 54. But I have gotten more spots that look like skin cancer. Being raised in El Centro, CA didn't help any. How long before you noticed yours? And how long before this drug combo starts to work, if you don't mind me asking. Doc said they are flare ups but my flare up has been going on for over a year, and gets worse daily in differt areas. Any infor you can give me will be greatly appreciated. And please let me know how your skin cancer does. I had read that you can get cancer in the lympnoides while taking it, but it will go away when you stop...??? Don't know if that is true or not.
Good luck to you and God Bless.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.