Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Smoking May Interfere with RA Treatment
Byroney_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hello RAers!

I just saw this new article today, and thought I'd share. It discusses how Smoking May Interfere with RA Treatment . "People with early rheumatoid arthritis (RA) who smoke are less likely to respond to treatment with two of the most commonly used medications -- an older disease modifying antirheumatic drug called methotrexate and biologic drugs known as TNF blockers, according to a new study in January's Arthritis & Rheumatism."

What do you think? Could you stop smoking to help manage your RA? If you've quit, please share if it helped you or not.

Byroney

3collies responded:
I had heard this so it was my New Years Resolution to quit. Happy to report after smoking for 34 years I have made it past the first week. I'll let you all know if it helps my treatment.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to 3collies's response:
Dear 3collies,

Congratulations for making it through the first week! A friend of mine smoked for over thirty years, and she will celebrate her 15th year of stopping in March.

You may want to visit our Smoking Cessation Community for more support.

Cheering you on,

Byroney

Miguella replied to 3collies's response:
To 3collies-
Congrats on quitting. This March will be 1 year for me. It was a hard decision to make, but when i kept having problems with my Methotrexate treatments, I had no choice. Since I quit smoking, I haven't had any problems with my injections. Best of luck to you.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
33 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.