Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Simvastatin and arthritis
writermom12 posted:
Last year I was diagnosed as having degenerative arthritis in my lower back. It hardly ever hurt. I have been on Simvastatin for about a week now and now my lower back really hurts. It responds sort of well to yoga and Tylenol though.

Before I speak to the doctor about going off the Simvistatin or start taking too much Tylenol, I am trying to find ways to deal with the pain as it's entirely possible the simvastatin is not too blame at all. Any suggestions? Resources?

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Writermom12,

Here's a link to our Drugs and Treatment Library , which can give you an idea of some possible side effects. You may also want to check with your pharmacist for some expert input.

I think you're smart to follow-up with your doctor. For additional information, here's a Guide to RA Medications .

Yours in health,

Byroney

writermom12 replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks for the link. I got control over the lower back with yoga. I have a pain in my thigh since I started the simv and I asked my doctor, who I'm not terribly happy with, about it and she said if it were the drug, I'd have pain all over. I think part of the reason she seems disinterested is that she knows I would rather not go on anymore drugs and that is the extent of her knowledge, treating things with drugs.My pharmacist seems to know more so I'll ask him again but even that pain seems to be not as often now.

Thanks,
Sheila

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to writermom12's response:
Good to hear you're making some progress, Sheila. Thanks for checking back in with us.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.