Skip to content
am i being discriminated against @ work?
tia_d27 posted:
i have worked in the grocery industry since 98 the majority of my career was spent being a cake decorator(8yrs) As a result i ended up with carpel tunnel in both hands(per company Dr.) still having extreme pain i went to my pcp and found out i tested pos. for r.A. the last four years thanx to a great boss, ive been able to airbrush signs. i loved this. it gave me freedom to sit when i need and to rest my hands when needed. But now due to a cut in hours, and new management they want to schedule me doing other stuff like bagging groceries, floral dept twice a week..by the end of my8hr shift i can barely walk,after standing all day..my hands swell and im so exhausted i come home and have to lay down for a long nap. my feet ache and im not n best of spirits. l have also suffered from severe depression and anxiety since age 16 , tried all types of meds and am still searchin for the right ones. well last fri. my comanager who is ex navy came to the room i work in and demanded to know what i was workin on . i get orders from other stores for airbrush work and was on an order. she insisted i go to the deli and make cupcakes( icing them which involves squeezing a full bag of icing). she leaves after i explained what i was doing, then returns about 15 mins. later after callin the boss at other store! i was offended because she thought i was lying. she insists i go do the cupcakes...i explain to her that i cant due to my r.a. and carpel tunnel.like a snotty kid she replies, well how can u do artwork if u cant do cupcakes.? and stomps off . i got my union steward to talk to her but shes still being very nosey and obtrusive. lots of my coworker ask my union steward y i dont get on disability. i feel like im being pushed to do so knowing that with my job change will affect my health. im afraid i will lose my job..ive had to call n so much due to R.A. that my insurance is n danger..i feel so helpless and alone at work. i feel unwanted, unappreciated. i wish they could all experience my pain for an 8 hr shift..any help out there? im only thirty one and have had RA for 5 years that i know about...im lost as to what to do. i get so frustrated and upset at work i cry all day come home and cry. im tired of feeling like i have to suffer. im currently taking methotrexate, hydrocholriquin and mobic. please if any one could help me or at least talk to me about this i would greatly appreciate it. i dont know anyone else my age or older that has RA. i feel alone in a great big world thats trying to swallow me up and spit me to the side...

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear tia_d27,

I would encourage you to consult with a lawyer who handles employment law and/or possibly one who handles disability cases. They can help you safeguard your legal rights, and many lawyers offer low cost first consultations. You may even have legal benefits through your union.

I have an article on RA, Work, and Disability that may be helpful to you. You may want to look at the HIPAA site (this is not a WebMD site, so we cannot guarantee content) to see who is allowed to see your health information.

I know many of our members here have struggled with issues around work, bosses who don't understand, and considering disability. I hope some of them pop in and share their stories with you.

Write back and let us know how you're doing,

Byroney

beth7h responded:
Are you in a union?

beth7h replied to beth7h's response:
Oh, wait, I see that you are. Call them!

You need to discuss this situation with your Union Steward; review Byroney's response above (and share it with your steward). If your employer is truly discriminating against you, you need to follow every avenue available to rectify the situation...good luck!

Ahhh...never mind-I see you are in one.
Apparently, they are not helping you and you need to step it up-go to a lawyer as Byroney suggests.
Stay on this & go for it! Please don't back down as I see you are being discriminated against and should not be treated in the manner that your are!

potterpot responded:
I had the same thing 25 yrs. baking and decorating. You have to report it to work comp. because it is work related. any way corporal tunnel. I wish I could talk more because this is me and now Drs. say RA after all those yrs. and no help from Drs. or work comp. or SS. I am 63 yrs. and on early SS witch is a big different from disability. I went to many Drs. even mental dr. for depression.Fight back and get help legally, you will need it.Good Luck, Dianne

tia_d27 responded:
thanks to all who responded. update- i go tomorrow to my doc and plan on taking a medical leave..hopefully . i have a lawyers name who helped a friend of mine ..going to see what doc says about disability.im having terrible anxiety about it. wish me luck..and thankyou for the advice.

tia_d27 replied to tia_d27's response:
well i got excused from work 4 to six times a month for flare up..my boss also let me have off the weekend to cool off and rest.i go to my pcp on mon. see if i can get some time off for stress and let my anxiety meds kick in more.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Chang Shan
I have been talking Chang Shan for about two weeks and it has made a huge difference in my RA, I have severe infections and are unable to ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.