Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just feel like crying!
An_215716 posted:
After being treated poorly by my Rheumatologist I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and go back to him. That and I am under insured, new to Ra and didn't want to start all over again with another Dr. This Dr. charged me $250.00 for first office visit, which I pay 100% of. I left his office just about crying. The only thing he remembered about me was lack of insurance! So it is my fault that I do not recieve the proper treatment! He took me off of my methotexate 3 weeks ago because I had dizziness and fatique which he clearly stated was not being caused by the meds and the second thing he asked me was how am I making out with the methotrexate. The look on my face when I responded must have been priceless because when I told him that he took me off of my meds, until I was cleared by my primary physician to return. He said I needed to tell him why he took me off meds he can't possibly remember everything! Primary physician said its from the medication, so he proceeds to put me back on it just to be sure. When I asked about the injectable kind because I learned from this site that I might experience less side effects he said thats not true only stomach upset changes and he can give me another pill to offset that! I then asked him to explain remission and the possibility of my symptoms getting better and he proceeded to tell me that maybe if I wear a green hat and purple slippers and watch informmecials at 2 am that might happen. I need to learn to deal with the fact that I have RA and it will not go away. I was just looking for some reassurance that maybe someday this will get better not go away! Needless to say I am looking for a new Dr. and have wasted the last 5 months and over $600.00 on the wrong one! I am no better then when I started except that I have found this site, which has become more valuable to me then my Dr.

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Dear Anon_148612,

I am so sorry! It was very considerate of you to give this doctor a second chance, but it's obvious that he's anything but considerate of you.

Hopefully the labwork you had done will be useful for the next rheumatologist you see, so all of that money won't have been wasted. Plus, you also know more about your condition and what kind of doctor you will avoid in the future.

Yes, you are out some time and money, but the good news is you're moving forward and are a stronger person for it. Now you can find a doctor who will really care about you and treat you with the respect you deserve.

Unfortunately, several of our members have reported they left or "fired" doctors along the way once they got their RA diagnosis. There are many wonderful doctors out there, and by getting rid of this "bad egg" you can find one of them.

Write back and let us know how you're doing. We're cheering you on!

Byroney

shollim responded:
I know you are frustrated, confused, scared and bewildered. (If I could think of other adjectives I would list more!) I left my sweet Rheumy in Georgia and moved to San Antonio five years ago when it was "just" fibromyalgia. I went through two docs and then asked my cardiologist to find someone "just like him" for me. It took a few weeks, but he called me and gave me the name of the most wonderful female Rheumy who specialized in fibromyalgia, RA, and Lupus. She is the one who diagnosed the RA. I kept a copy of all lab work in the last five years so could just hand her these...that helped. I began keeping a notebook in my purse and writing down what she said while she is in the room...making changes to med dosages, etc. The meds and dosages change so often, I can just tell her instead of her searching on the computer. I know we are confused and many things are left unasked because we don't know to ask them...but we need to do our part as patients. The docs see one patient after another all day long...do what you can to "streamline" the process and keep them focused on "you".
I went through a time of dizziness and debilitating fatigue (still do) but now it comes and goes. I was diagnosed in October and am still trying to figure this out. I am still not controlled and have bad days and worse days. This site has been a blessing.
Good luck,
Sherrie

Chrisinsc responded:
Anon-- You are right to look for a new Rheumy. You do NOT have to tolerate poor treatment and lack of proffesionalism and empathy. Your 5 months and 600.00 is not wasted. You have a diagnosis and a track record for your bloodwork and presumably Xrays as well. It should go far in helping your new Rheumy to treat you. Your relationship with a good Doc is more important than many Docs realize. I wouldn't trust your current one with a goat. You are not a disease, but a person with a disease. I am really sorry that you've had such a bad experience with this guy, but it is curable. Get a new one. Hang in there.
Chris in SC

JW6878 replied to Byroney_WebMD_Staff's response:
I've been there. I've had RA for 20 years and last year had breast cancer with double mastectomies in March. I've had horrible scarring problems and the cancer drugs they tried on me mimic arthritis. You can only imagine getting RA on top of RA. I was almost crippled before my oncologist said enough is enough and we stopped them all. My last visit with only dr I've had since my diagnosis was appalling. I can only get into bed by crawling in and then turning to sit because of my back. She laughed at me and said that was rediculous and had never heard of such a thing. I left that day and made an appt with a dr my plastic surgeon recommended. She is fabulous and spends alot more time with me. I'm not a cow being run through the branding shoot anymore. Stick with it. You'll find a good match and be so thankful for what you learned. My previous dr has never even called to ask why I left. I couldn't have meant too much to her. Good luck. You're in my prayers. Martha

Turtlemom3 responded:
You know, there are just so many wonderful docs around, you have a great chance to find a good one that will be a match for you. Sometimes it takes interviewing several docs before you find the right "fit." I live in easy commuting distance of 5 internal medicine docs, but I choose to go to one 40 miles away - because we are compatible. I can ask him anything, tell him anything, and he respects me and my opinions.

But it took me going through 4 different practices before I found this doc. Obviously, I'm not going to look for another one anytime soon.

Take your time, and look for a really good rheum doc. In the meantime, ask your PCP to manage your RA, temporarily. Learn all you can about RA and it's symptoms. Learn how to get enough rest so you have less fatigue. Find a way to deal with the pain - it may be with a pain patch or with oral medications, or with alternative methods of pain management. Don't exercise your joints very much when they are inflamed. Just put them through gentle range of motion. Only exercise them when they are not inflamed. Learn relaxation techniques. Check this website, and check out the Arthritis Foundation's website for additional help.

Good luck!

teakissane replied to Turtlemom3's response:
Thank you all for your relies! Since this post I have had to return to this Dr because of complications due to Methotrexate, which I was on 3 a week for 3 weeks then he adviced me to go off till next visit so that was another 3 weeks. Then he put me back on a progressive dose starting with one, two, then 3, when I hit the full dose again I got sick. So again he took me off but not before I went into his office prepared to get answers instead of his offbeat unexceptable responses! He had the nerve to tell me he did not want me as a patient any longer, which was ok because I had already made an appointment with my new Rhummy for May. The problem is at this same office visit my blood pressure was elevated ( wonder why?) and he also removed me from my prednisone which I have been on since November. Now it has been 11 days since I have not taken any meds for my RA and slowly I feel extremely fatigued, sharp stabbing pains in different area's (joints) and see some swelling again! I just don't know what to do or take. I really started to see a difference with the methotrexate and asked if I could stay on a lower dose and he said No! So for now I am left untreated, unmedicated and extremly frustrated. Thank you for listening and all of you helpful words!

Byroney_WebMD_Staff replied to teakissane's response:
Dear teakissane,

Thanks for the update! I'm sorry you parted ways with your unhelpful doctor earlier than anticipated and you're having some fatigue and pain.

Have you tried calling your new rheumatologist's office and see if they have a waiting list? Some of my doctors have waiting lists, so when a patient cancels, they call people on the waiting list and get them in sooner.

Can you see your primary care doctor for some help until your May appointment?

Let us know how you're doing,

Byroney
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. ~Will Rogers

WVGrandma responded:
I've had primary physicians and neurologists like that. Either I wanted to cry or punch them and then had to work very hard to remember that they weren't worth going to jail for.

If you don't have any insurance make sure you keep in mind that the injectibles are extremely expensive. I don't know about the Embrel but the new Simponi is over $3,000.00 and it is only for one shot a month. That being said, there are a few really great Rheumatologists out there. The first time I went to mine I wasn't very happy. There was a very long wait and I still didn't get to go in and see him because I had to go to work. But they worked with me to get me an early morning appointment and have worked with me since to get me early appointments for my work schedule. He have me Embrel and one other shot as a sample from their distributors but we found I am allergic to them. That is how I know about the cost of Simponi. Your primary physician may be able to prescribe the methotrexate (and I apologize if I misspelled it) for you as well as folic acid and a medication for upset stomach. Folic Acid isn't very expensive but does need to be taken with the methotrexate. Ginger Ale, as I've read of others trying, may also help with the upset stomach too. As for the Doctor being a jerk, if all else fails and you decide you just aren't going to go back, when you walk out of his office you can always tell him, and quite loudly so others can hear, that for $250.00 per visit you expect him to know what he's doing and not to have to do his job for him. If you have to do his job then he should be paying you.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.