Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Help...mouth sores?
sherrie60 posted:
Hi, I have been diagnosed since October and am on plaquenil, prednisone, folic acid, methotrexate (injections), and Enbrel. The Enbrel is not working and my rheumy said we will be changing it next visit. This weekend I started having a sore mouth. It gradually got worse and Monday morning I woke up with thrush (yeast infection in the mouth) like babies get. I know this means that my immune system is lowered which is what we want, but how common is this?

"...and the hits just keep on cummin'. "

Sherrie

LCover responded:
Hi Sherrie,

I would recommend calling your doctor to let them know. Don't quote me on this, but I know that taking biologics can make it harder for your body to fight infections and I thought thrush was indicated as a possible side effect of Enbrel, but you need to find out from your doctor for sure.

I found some information on WebMD under the medication side effects.

Good luck & I hope you get some relief.

LC

sherrie60 replied to LCover's response:
Thanks, the "thrush" (yeast infection) in the mouth has gone away. The doc called a script in for a "swish and swallow" med. It seems that the biologics ar working for me. My immune system is down and now the opportunistic organisms (yeast) are taking the opportunity to set up housekeeping. Great...at least something is working. My doc says she will refill the med when ever I need it. Great.

Sherrie

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.