Skip to content
New to RA
luvapetadopt posted:
I was diagnosed with Lymes last October. After two months of treating Lymes, my pain just grew worse. I was then diagnosed with RA about 8 weeks ago. After initial blood work, the dr put me on prednisone until I could get an appointment so we could discuss a plan of action Well, I was told to take 6 Metho every Monday and to start decreasing the prednisone. I am on my 4th week of the Metho and tried to decrease the prednisone ....called the dr and he suggested I stay at the level of prednisone I started out with.

Geeze, I am in so much pain. I have searched online and some say it can take two months for the metho to work....I am scared of taking prednisone because I have a history of cancer....

I understand everyone's pain is different...but I would be so grateful to hear some ....ANY encouragement from all of you nice people. I am not a baby when it comes to pain...but this RA is making me just a bit crabby!

thank you.

Carol

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Carol,

Welcome to our community! I love your WebMD nickname. :) I am sorry you are in pain and hope you feel better soon.
WebMD has some information about RA treatments: Questions to Ask Your Doctor . The link shares some questions you might want to consider asking your doctor on your next appointment.

Two questions from the link that might help:

"1. Is a DMARD appropriate for me?

Treatment for rheumatoid arthritis is complex -- as much art as science — but certain drugs called DMARDs have the ability to change the course of this disease in many people. Methotrexate is helpful for most people, but each person's treatment plan is unique. Make sure you feel comfortable with your treatment plan by asking questions.

2. Are the new "biologic" injectable medicines a good treatment option for me?

Biologic agents like Enbrel, Humira, Orencia, Rituxan, Kineret, Remicade, Cimzia, and Simponi have become powerful tools in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. People with moderate to severe RA are frequently candidates for these therapies. These drugs are genetically engineered proteins that are derived from human genes. They inhibit the immune system, which plays a key role in inflammation in RA.

Consider letting your doctor know the concerns you have about prednisone and other treatment options.

I am sure members will chime in about their experience with treatments. Please feel free to join in discussions and ask questions. This is a great community. :)

Hoping you feel better soon,

Lainey

LCover responded:
Hi Carol,

I can definitely relate to your frustration. Dealing with a RA diagnosis is bad enough and then you have to find the right medication. The medication side effects themselves can be frightening enough. I went through methotrexate then Enbrel and neither worked well for me. It took me over six months to find one that worked and it was extremely trying and frustrating in the meanwhile.

Hang in there....it will get better once you find the right med to give you some relief from the pain. You just have to keep trying and unfortunately be patient.

I hope the medication starts working for you soon!

Take care, LCover

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
35 of 42 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.