Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Changes You've Made Because Of RA
Lainey_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hello community,

When my doctor told me I was beginning to show signs of arthritis, I was a little shocked because I only went to see him when I overdid my workout routine and was having trouble recovering. I was diagnosed with mild arthritis in my hips and knees which hasn't caused me too much trouble but arthritis has made me think about my future.

I live in a 2-story home and as I grow older, those steps may be difficult to climb. Wooden chairs are now torture devices to me, and extra soft furniture makes my joints stiff.

I am trying to make changes in my home and work area so that I will be comfortable, as I get older. Here is a great link to The Arthritis Foundation's Ease Of Use Products . There are some great items for people who have RA.

WebMD has a great video if you are looking for less impact exercises . I love my exercise ball but I don't think I want to use it as my work chair!

What have you changed in your home/work because of RA?
It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys.
Emil Zatopek

An_215738 responded:
I have suffered for years with knee pain. Took me 5 years to go to a Dr. Sent me away with patches. Long story short all the Dr I saw Im sure labeled me a drug seeker. What I wanted was injections or surgery. Finally found an Ortho Dr in Madison who performed arthroscopic on my left knee.MRI showed arthritis with just a sliver of space between joint left. I also have it in my neck, fingers and bursitis.. Also have raging Baker cysts behind each knee. The surgery was a breeze. The results were great for about a month. Then slowly pain came back and it is now worse than before. The right knee is the worst and when my PCP xrayed and examined me he said I needed a total knee replacement. Because arthro on the other knee was ineffective. He also stated they dont even do arthroscopic for arthritic knees anymore. Found a different surgeon in Madison who examined me and ordered an MRI. We havent discussed the results but he said there is no way he would do a total knee. This knee has even less space before I will be bone on bone, HELP!!! I do not want to go through another arthroscopic surgery when I need a total knee. I am 57 years old. Cant do steps and use a walker. Oh and those who have been through this will agree. WE ARE NOT ALL DRUG SEEKERS. Some people have legitimate pain and need a narcotic pain reliever to be able to function. Narcotics are manufactured for a reason. Keep them away from the young people but at my age if I get addicted I DONT CARE. I cant stand this pain. It has ruined my life. I have no history of pain pill usage except a surgery in 1983 for gall bladder. I didnt require them once I left the hospital. Had all my kids without even an epideral. Swore alot tho!! I need the name of a good ortho Dr who will do a knee replacement and give me pain relief while I wait and after surgery til I heal. I am SICK AND TIRED of being made to feel like a drug addict when I go to the Dr. asking for pain relief. Help me out people, please.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to An_215738's response:
Hi An_170525,

Welcome to the community. :)

I saw your post on the Osteoarthritis community and sorry you are in pain.

Have you tried looking for another doctor?
It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys. Emil Zatopek

sherrie60 replied to An_215738's response:
I'm sorry you are going through this...I call it the "patient experience". I'm an old (59) OR nurse (32 years) and when I read your scenario, the first picture that came to mind was morbid obesity. You mentioned you are 57 and already using a walker. The most common reason to postpone total knee replacement is obesity. The added weight on the joint lessens the life of the implant. The patient does not heal as well or recover from surgery as well.

As far as narcotic seeking....you're preaching to the choir. You are on the RA website. They give us prednisone to control our pain and Tramadol is like taking sugar pills for me.

I was diagnosed 7 months ago and in that short time have had to stay away from stairs, heavy doors, lifting the gallon of milk from the refrigerator, and picking up my 3 year old grandson. I traded in my Miata sport car for an Outback that I could easily get out of. I have given up my Saturdays in order to take my Methotrexate because it wipes me out for a day and a half. That gives me half a day on Sunday to get psyched for the rest of the week in order to work.

My grandson is learning about "feelings" in day care. He came home the other day and sat by me and said "Grammy, are you sad?" It was a wake up call to get my mind around this thing and get on with my life. I have put everything else on hold. I was going to get a certification at work before this happened and I had decided not to pursue it since I will be disabled soon. It sounds like I have already "checked out" doesn't it?

I was not depressed....I was defeated. I will not give up and just go to bed.

Sherrie

JDMiller42107 replied to sherrie60's response:
Wow Sherrie! I totally relate to your feelings and I hadn't even processed mine yet! Thank you for sharing!

I was diagnosed with RA about two months ago, I am 32 years old. I come from a family with a strong history. I have watched my mother suffer for the past fifteen years or longer before the doctors ever decided upon a diagnosis, let alone treat her for her pain and find a way for her to manage her daily life again. So for me getting the same diagnosis at 32 was devastating. However, my mother's journey has been inspiring for me because she never did give up. All the times the doctor's told her it was "in her head" or she was "depressed" she knew something was wrong and she pressed on until she found the answers that her body told her she needed. Her strength has shown me that even when I want to feel defeated, that there is hope. My mother now leads an active, relatively pain-free life after finding the right medication combinations. It is my sincere hope that the journey to finding what works for others does not take as long as it did for my mother. I know that they are making great advances in RA and I just pray that through earlier detection, earlier treatment, and newer medicines that the quality of life for those of us with RA will better than we expect!

So you are right Sherrie, let's not give up and go to bed. . .let's get up and fight, let's live!

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.