Ra and tooth decay
3collies posted:
Anyone out there have accelerated tooth decay after being diagnosed with RA? My teeth are breaking and splitting. I have always had very healthy teeth and gums.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi 3collies,

Welcome to the community, please feel free to join our discussions.

Dry Mouth seems to be a problem with some medications. Here is a link that discusses: Dry Mouth and Tooth Decay.

Have you let your dentist know about your RA?
It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys. Emil Zatopek

3collies replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
I have dry eyes but not dry mouth. I go to the VA so my dentist is part of that network and knows all about my RA but never mentioned a direct correlation between the sudden onset of tooth decay and my RA. Thanks, I'll keep researching.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to 3collies's response:
Hi 3collies,

If you are taking any medications for RA, or any medical conditions it could also be worth researching them.

WebMD has a great Oral Health community where you can post your question for more opinions.

Here is another article that discusses Gum Disease and RA.

Let me know if you need more help.

Lainey
It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys. Emil Zatopek

buressg63 responded:
I have ra have had for 18 years, In the last 5 months i have had 7 teeth break healthy teeth. i ask my Dr. she told me it was part of the ra that i loss all my teeth. But it would have been nice to have been told this sooner. But as far as i know there is no prevention to stop this from happening just don't know wher to go from here.

rjs50 responded:
Ive had RA for 14 years..
Been treated with a variety of medications.
In the past 10 years 3 of my front teeth have broken and been removed...I have several crowns and now my bottom teeth are turning black....
it is very disheartening when you have limited funds for dental care.