Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Leg Cramps Anyone?
ateecher posted:
Hi everyone,

I'm very new at this and so be patient with me. I found out I have RA about two weeks ago. Actually I went to see a nurse practitioner for help with fibromyalgia, which I've had for about 15 years. She did blood work and my C-Reactive protein was very high. She told me to see a Rheumatologist. I did, he did blood work. My rheumatoid factor was 1570, which I understand to be really high.

The doctor put me on predisone and I have a follow up appointment coming up. He also did an MRI of my lower back, which is not wonderful.

My question for all of you....do you get leg cramps? I have horrible foot, ankle, calf and thigh cramps. They are not just at night. I've tried increasing my water intake, taking calcium, with no help. Is this normal for RA? I'm not really seeing it as a "symptom". I also get cramps in my hands on occasion as well as my back and abdomen. How's that for being a mess? LOL

Please let me know your opinions. As I said, I'm very new at this. My Rheumatologist is a bit odd and I may have to switch, but I could use some advice now. Thanks to any and all who can help.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Ateecher,

I'm sure others will be responding re leg cramps and RA (and if you do some reading here, you'll find you're not alone in wondering about this). I do know that many with Fibromyalgia deal with cramps and find that magnesium added to that calcium can help. It's good you're keeping yourself hydrated as well.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

potterpot responded:
Hi ateecher, I went out on work comp. surgery on hands, then back surgery .I get very bad cramps in toes, legs , back, hands . Back in 1996 this all started. I applied for disability and lost it. Fibromyalgia was not recognized at that time. I had a lawyer but no help from her. also DRS. gave me denials for they didn't believe in fibro. Now 14 yrs. latter and other problems and test RA. test 1st. time says RA positive. I haven't worked since then and had to take early social security.Pay is bad . So fight for yourself and don't give up like I did. Keep after Dr. about cramps,and keep up computer info. did not have this back then

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

prednisolone may be more effective than prednisone in some patientsExpert
Rarely I will find a patient who is not getting the response I would expect with prednisone. In those patients, I will sometimes prescribe ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.