Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Shoes for RA
    charlene1966 posted:
    Does anyonef know of a good shoe for casual wear (jean, capris, ect)? I am having a terrible time with my feet and need to find a good pair of shoes. My RA doctor suggested that I wear close toed shoes. Any suggestions???
    LavShi responded:
    I have been diagnosed with RA since November 2010, I started having feet problems 4 years ago...and found that Dansko shoes were the only shoes that gave me the support I needed. The professionals are the best...and once you start wearing them, you notice that many others wear them as well...many fligt attendants and health care professionals that are on their feet all the time. I definitely had to get to the place that I did not care that they were not the cutest shoes! However, when your feet hurt...they provide the support that you need....hopfully you'll find something that provides you the style and comfort you need! Good luck and let us know!
    charlene1966 replied to LavShi's response:
    Thanks for the tip. I have looked at some online and they are WAY out of my price range. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm willing to look. I was thinking maybe Clarks or Easy Spirit. Guess I'll just have to go actually try on shoes and walk around in them to make sure they are not going to hurt me.

    bettie72 replied to charlene1966's response:
    charlene if you find a good shoe that is less expensive please
    post about it. My feet burn and hurt all the time.
    Right now Keds help but not to ware for long periods of time.
    charlene1966 replied to bettie72's response:
    Bettie, after trying on Easy Spirit, Clarks, Naturalizer, Stride Right I settled on the Clarks. They felt really good on my feet and I don't need any extra inserts. I also have a pair of Ryka tennis shoes that are really good. I am hoping that I can get this foot pain under control. I'm not real sure if it's the RA or if something else is really causing this severe pain in one foot. I'm thinking of going to my family doctor next week and let him check it out, just to be sure. When my feet hurts my whole body hurts.
    bettie72 replied to charlene1966's response:
    Thanks charlene1966 I'll look for some. I have severe heel
    problems. I always have to use an extra insole.
    Doris1947 responded:

    I have RA and also wear orthotic shoes. The brand my foot doctor recommends is Aetrex. is also a good source for buying orthotic shoes rather than going through the doctor and having extra fees attached.

    emmoj responded:
    Sketchers have been my go-to shoes for a few years. The mary jane types are especially good, with straps, because my toes are fused and don't grip.
    rubiesubie responded:
    I love the brand Orthaheel.
    Xraytec responded:
    I've had Rheumatoid for 21 years. I've had 2 surgeries on my feet for rheumatoid nodules and cysts. I have found Croc's to be a great shoe. It is recommended by the Arthritis Foundation. They are inexpensive and if you go to their website they have may styles to choose from. I do have to put a cushion in the bottom because my feet are very sensative. Other than that, I don't know what I did before wearing my Croc's. I work two jobs and am on my feet for up to 12-14 hours and am very comfortable in them.
    Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Welcome to all newcomers to this RA community!

    Thanks for joining in on this discussion with your recommendations. I am sure they'll be helpful to others.

    If you ever want to start your own discussion on the board, to say hello or ask a question or look for support, all you need to do is hold your cursor over the orange Post Now button on the upper right and choose 'Discussion' from the drop down menu which appears. Fill in the subject line and body of the message (you can ignore the poll part if you wish) and Submit. :-)
    We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell
    siobhain37 responded:
    hHave you tried fit flops. Once I put them on I have never taken them off. Crocs were first but these are brilliant
    2236R responded:
    I find the Ecco brand shoes to be comfortable and with good arch support.
    ramomof2 responded:
    I have the same problems with my feet. Flip flops work in the summer. Crocs in the spring and fall. Ugg boots in the winter(I know the can be expensive. I have had mine for 2 years and the make my feet feel great. They are well worth the investment to not be in pain). Once you get on the right meds the swelling in your feet will go down and you can start wearing other shoes again. Hang in there. It took 2 years to find the right medication to help me.
    jennersea responded:
    Hi, I too wear Crocs in the summer and have found a great pair of shoes made by Dr. Scholls which are Dansko look-a-likes at half the price. They have a nice deep toe box for unruly toes and are great for winter/fall. I wear them with pants, skirts, etc. I also walk well in Merrells. All of these are long lasting. What I need are a dress shoe. Any ideas?

    Helpful Tips

    Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
    Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    41 of 48 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.