Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Steroids and Weight Gain
Letshopeforthebest posted:
It's so hard to deal with the weight gain. What is the average amount of weight gain from being on steroids for RA. I 've been on them for 8 months and have really packed on the pounds. And why do you gain weight?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Good question, Letshopeforthebest, and I look forward to hearing how others respond to this one.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

mybuddyrobin responded:
Well I gain 40 lbs in 2 months! Horrible... now have stretch marks all over my lower belly no more will I take that stuff!!! never been this big in my life

I suck up swelling. Ice and other essential oils to help.

Good luck!

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
Many patients gain weight from prednisone due to the fact that it increases appetite. By being aware of this problem and try to control your appetitie or focus on low calorie foods. Once the weight is on, it will come off, but it is not quick or easy in my experience so have my patients try to take the least amount of prednisone neccessary and encourage exercise in addition to the diet suggestions.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

jaw pain
I use massage, ice, heat, and pain meds if necessary. I find that when I'm busy consentrating at work, I tend to grind my teeth, which I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.