Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Question about RA
An_240046 posted:
I recently started to quit smoking and I was wondering if the nicotine patches will cause my RA to become aggervated? Or, could it just the added stress of withdrawls?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome to WebMD,

While you're waiting for a response here in answer to your question that's specific to RA, I hope you'll also look in on our Smoking Cessation community for insight and support.

Good for you for taking this step towards better health!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Scott Zashin, MD responded:
Glad that you are trying to quit smoking. I have not seen reports of this, but of course can't exclude. I can tell you that there is significant benefit to the RA patient who is able to stop smoking. Best of luck!

karento responded:
I know where you are at now. I quit 2 years ago. I did not use anything but a strong will, it was hard but has been well worth it. I had reached the point where I was waking in the night gasping for air, and was unable to speak in a complete sentance without coughing. I went to a dr with my husband and the dr began to question my cough. He suggested that i have some test run and I told him I was to scared of the results so he told me to stop smoking and that was the last day I did. No it was not easy I smoked for over 30 years. So if you need some help with it do talk to your dr they will help you and will give you all of the information you need. Just remember don't give up and good luck.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

R.A.
Thanks everyone for the postings about R.A. being in the sacroilliac joint. It is a very debilitating pain, when combined with scoliosis ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.