Skip to content
dreppressed
pretty38 posted:
I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH RA A YEAR AGO. I AM 39 YEARS OLD. SOMETIMES I WISH I DIDNT WAKE UP! IM TRYING TO GO TO SCHOOL,WORK,AND A SINGLE MOM. I STOP TAKING MEDS THEY MAKE ME SICK. MY DOCTOR LOOKS AT ME LIKE IM CRAZY , AND IVE STOPED GOING TO HER ALSO! MY FINGERS ARE STARTING TO DEFORM! I SICK OF THIS!

odessa81 responded:
Listen, I know things seem dismal now. You're struggling with RA while juggling so many responsibilities. No one can blame you for feeling overwhelmed or angry. I just joined this blog and I've found that knowledge and support and empathy are the tools I need to push through the times when I am most hopeless and low. I hope you find the same.

Marzipana responded:
I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time. You really have your hands full.

If your doctor is not sympathetic to your issues with the medication, I would strongly suggest that you find another rheumatologist who is more empathic and helpful. Finding the right medication can be a trial-and-error process; there are a lot of medication options out there and your doctor should be helping you find one that works and that you can also tolerate.

I know it's difficult and frustrating, but it's really worth trying again with another doc. RA meds can actually STOP or slow down the progression of disease, and if your fingers are deteriorating, you really want to get that under control as soon as possible...so you can continue to function at work and with your kids.

Another thing you can do is ask your doctor for a referral for some occupational therapy; you may be able to learn some simple exercises for strengthening your fingers and hands and helping maintain flexibility in those joints.

(I know---one more thing to do!)

And finally, I hope you are able to carve out some time for yourself to relax and de-stress...you do have an awful lot going on.

Good luck and best wishes....hang in there.

BlueBlueBird responded:
NO NO NO !!! Don't ever wish to not wake up!

This disease can be controlled! Are you going to a Rheumatologist? If not, find one. If that one doesn't listen to you, find another one. Make this a priority so you can have a normal life.

You are busy, too busy with work, school, being a single mom. Put the school on hold until you take control of the RA. I understand you have to work and care for your child/children, but forget about school just for a while.

Get this under control with the right rheumatologist so you can go on with your life.

VIOLETSHEILA responded:
PRETTY38
Depression is very common with chronic pain , I too think that you need to find a New Rhuemy & Quick. I speak from experience, I only kept my first Rhuemy for 6 months. After my diagnosis, I had to see her Physicans Assistant the next 2 visits. That's when I decided if she was too busy for me, then she was not the right DR. for me. The Meds do take some getting used to. Take you MEDS with dinner that way you can sleep thru the side effects. You need to get some good rest while your body is trying to heal. Stress makes your pain worse. (I learned the hard way) Maybe you need to try something different. BUT YOU HAVE TO TAKE SOMETHING. My new Rheumy has been great, new dosage,& new meds have made a HUGE difference in just 2 months.
Look for a new DR./ Don't give up. . you are still young and there are always new drugs coming on the market. One of them is bound to be the right one for you.
Remember WE ARE HERE FOR YOU.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

jaw pain
I use massage, ice, heat, and pain meds if necessary. I find that when I'm busy consentrating at work, I tend to grind my teeth, which I'm ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.