Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Does anyone have vertigo when taking the methotrexate?
lynnsea posted:
I have been taking methotrexate for almost 2 years, but I recently started having vertigo attacks really bad. I end up in the ER and the whole bit. I was wondering if anyone has the same thing happen. I read vertigo could be a side affect.

BlueBlueBird responded:
I have had, and occasionally still do have, vertigo. However, it started before I had RA.
I don't know if yours is the same as mine, but although it seemed each episode lasted forever, it was actually over in a matter of 15 or 20 seconds. I also noticed that it was usually when my head was turned to the right, especially when laying down.
The first few episodes were absolutely the worst. After a while they went away, but would recur for a week or so and then go away again. This went on for maybe 10 years.
In the past 3 or 4 years, I've had only one episode.
It was dx'd as benign positional vertigo.

That being said, I have also had extreme vertigo due to a blood pressure med I was taking. It was so bad that I thought I would pass out and actually ended up in ICU the last time. All the tests were run and it was determined that it was the blood pressure med. I'm off it now and have had no further problems.

bear1035 responded:
Yes, I have been taking methrotrxate injection for almost a year.
I just experienced vertigo quite a bit. I stopped taking the medicine and have had no more episode, but still dizzy every one in a awhile. i understand your concern. I went to an ent doctor and he ordered me an MRI of my brain. He said no connection to the medicine. Crazy.

Featuring Experts

Scott Zashin, MD is a clinical assistant professor at the University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School and maintains a private practice at Presb...More

Helpful Tips

Dry eyes and dry mouthExpert
Patients with RA may develop dryness of the eyes and mouth due to a condition called secondary Sjogrens Syndrome. The dryness is due to ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.